Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default torbay palm advice wanted pls.

Hi,
Here in The West Midlands , Tuesday night till This evening, we have had
very strong winds, as has most of the country.
I found this morning that the centre stem of my Torbay Palm had broken off,
the Stem is around 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, with bare stem for around
3.5 foot. and a lovely canopy of leaves on top taking the full length to
around 6 foot high.
This palm has some 6 shoots left from low down so it doesnt look too bad.
I have trimmed the broken end, and planted it up to about 12 to 15 inches
deep, in another border, question is, will it root?
Luckily that and one fence panel is all the damage we have suffered.
Looking forward to positive reply.
Regards
Cineman

Old 13-03-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

cineman wrote:
Hi,
Here in The West Midlands , Tuesday night till This evening, we have
had very strong winds, as has most of the country.
I found this morning that the centre stem of my Torbay Palm had
broken off, the Stem is around 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, with bare
stem for around 3.5 foot. and a lovely canopy of leaves on top taking the
full
length to around 6 foot high.
This palm has some 6 shoots left from low down so it doesnt look too
bad. I have trimmed the broken end, and planted it up to about 12 to
15 inches deep, in another border, question is, will it root?

Possibly, although you would have a better chance by putting it in a 1:1 or
1:2 mixture of compost and sharp sand in a large flower pot. Cordyline
australis (which is what "Torbay palm" is) is fairly drought resistant. I
would have though that there is a greater chance of the cutting rotting off
in the soil before rooting than in a potful of well-drained compost.

Good luck!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 13-03-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote
Here in The West Midlands , Tuesday night till This evening, we have had
very strong winds, as has most of the country.
I found this morning that the centre stem of my Torbay Palm had broken
off, the Stem is around 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, with bare stem for
around 3.5 foot. and a lovely canopy of leaves on top taking the full
length to around 6 foot high.
This palm has some 6 shoots left from low down so it doesnt look too bad.
I have trimmed the broken end, and planted it up to about 12 to 15 inches
deep, in another border, question is, will it root?
Luckily that and one fence panel is all the damage we have suffered.
Looking forward to positive reply.

We had a builder dig up one of ours some years ago and I came home to find
exactly what you describe lying in the drive. Planted it in the garden and
it is now as big as the one that came up the next year from the roots he
left feet down. Tough plants.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-03-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many Thanks to both,
Will repot and try in compost as suggested, although with its size would
need a LARGE pot so that it is not too top heavy.

Regards
Cineman

"cineman" wrote