Old 14-03-2008, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing swedes successfully

I can grow most vegetables on my allotment since I have been at it for
more than 40 years.However my one failure is swedes,where I cannot get
many to grow to a decent size.I live in Cheshire with a reasonably
mild climate,and I tend to sow swedes around early May.I obtain good
germination,thin to about six inches apart and deal early with
anything nibbling the seedlings.They seem to grow on well,but
eventually give up before many reach a reasonable size.My soil is
sandy,but I use plenty of compost in my winter digging and use
fish,blood and bone fertiliser once or twice while they are growing.I
of course also net them against pigeon attack.
What am I doing wrong??
Michael
Old 14-03-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote...
I can grow most vegetables on my allotment since I have been at it for
more than 40 years.However my one failure is swedes,where I cannot get
many to grow to a decent size.I live in Cheshire with a reasonably
mild climate,and I tend to sow swedes around early May.I obtain good
germination,thin to about six inches apart and deal early with
anything nibbling the seedlings.They seem to grow on well,but
eventually give up before many reach a reasonable size.My soil is
sandy,but I use plenty of compost in my winter digging and use
fish,blood and bone fertiliser once or twice while they are growing.I
of course also net them against pigeon attack.
What am I doing wrong??

I too had problems with swedes although our soil is Thames silt/clay and not
that sandy despite being over gravel. The cure was to grow them from seed in
Rootrainers (or toilet roll inners) and then plant them out right up to the
leaves, that's deeper than they were, after they had grown to a decent young
plant.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Swedes Mr Chips Edible Gardening 1 03-10-2006 04:33 PM
Can Yucca be successfully transplanted? When to plant mums? de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies Gardening 5 02-10-2005 09:09 AM
Does anyone grow Dendrobium carronii successfully? Dave Gillingham Orchids 0 17-10-2004 11:41 AM
Does anyone grow Dendrobium carronii successfully? Dave Gillingham Orchids 0 17-10-2004 11:41 AM
Swedes 3 months early anne United Kingdom 3 17-08-2003 11:12 PM