Old 14-03-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coal Ash

Ashes from the grate of a coal fire. Are they in some way bad for the soil?
Can I put them on the veg patch?

Tim w

Old 14-03-2008, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Tim W" wrote in message
Ashes from the grate of a coal fire. Are they in some way bad for the
soil?

I believe so - coal ash is acidic.

Can I put them on the veg patch?

I heard that wood ash can be OK, but coal ash should not be used

Old 15-03-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:30:31 -0000, OG wrote:

I heard that wood ash can be OK, but coal ash should not be used

I wouldn't use coal ash, it has the concentracted heavy metals and toxins
of quite a bit of plant growth in it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 15-03-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:42:00 GMT, Tim W wrote:

Ashes from the grate of a coal fire. Are they in some way bad for the soil?
Can I put them on the veg patch?

Tim w

They contain sulphur which, with water becomes sulphuric acid (acid rain
comes from coal fire fumes) If left to weather in an unused corner of the
garden they can be useful for paths eg between raised beds.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 15-03-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Mar, 10:34, Jim S wrote:
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:42:00 GMT, Tim W wrote:
Ashes from the grate of a coal fire. Are they in some way bad for the soil?
Can I put them on the veg patch?

Tim w

They contain sulphur which, with water becomes sulphuric acid (acid rain
comes from coal fire fumes) If left to weather in an unused corner of the
garden they can be useful for paths eg between raised beds.
--
Jim S
* * * * Tyneside UK
* * *www.jimscott.co.uk

Put it on bare ground and let it weather then dig it in.
We always used it on our heavy clay soil when I was young, and it did
no harm,
Also soot from sweeping the chimney was sprinkled around plants to
kill the slugs, but not to close to the plants.
If you want to use the ash for paths then you have to seiv it and just
use the larger bits that dont go through the riddle, but then we would
pot them back on the fire at night to bank it down so that it would
stay in over night.
Forget the nanny state, Live a little.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 22-03-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim W wrote:
Ashes from the grate of a coal fire. Are they in some way bad for the soil?
Can I put them on the veg patch?

Yes, I agree with those who say wood ash is OK on soil but not coal ash
unless you trying to break up extremely clay soil. Coal ash is
excellent for paths through the garden and for steps you may build into
the sides of banks. It's good too for sprinkling over ice and snow on
driveways, to help your tyres get a grip. Once coal ash has been rained
on a good bit you find its simply reduced to sand-like grit. Some
people make the mistake of putting wood ash on their driveways. This
just creates a black mucky mess because wood ash doesn't reduce to
mineral grit!

Eddy.