Old 15-03-2008, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anemone nemoralis

Why is this so neglected? You can buy blowsy blanda everywhere, but
nemoralis is rarely sold. I bought some several years ago, and they
have now established themselves the way I wanted - a sight to lift
the heart.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-03-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Why is this so neglected? You can buy blowsy blanda everywhere, but
nemoralis is rarely sold. I bought some several years ago, and they
have now established themselves the way I wanted - a sight to lift
the heart.

Perhaps because it is more difficult to establish (i.e. I failed ).
Apart from alliteration why is A.Blanda blowsy ? I confess to enjoying
the way it has self seeded around.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 15-03-2008, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Paul Luton writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| Why is this so neglected? You can buy blowsy blanda everywhere, but
| nemoralis is rarely sold. I bought some several years ago, and they
| have now established themselves the way I wanted - a sight to lift
| the heart.
|
| Perhaps because it is more difficult to establish (i.e. I failed ).
| Apart from alliteration why is A.Blanda blowsy ? I confess to enjoying
| the way it has self seeded around.

I din't say that it was unattractive and, as usual, the native form
is less blowsy than the hybrids. But it does have vulgarly large
flowers, in vulgarly large numbers - hence the "blowsy". However,
most of us grow a few unrepentantly blowsy flowers, even if we
favour more sophisticated ones as a general rule - I certainly do :-)

My A. nemorosa isn't the native form, anyway, but a blue hybrid.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-03-2008, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Paul Luton writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| Why is this so neglected? You can buy blowsy blanda everywhere, but
| nemoralis is rarely sold. I bought some several years ago, and they
| have now established themselves the way I wanted - a sight to lift
| the heart.
|
| Perhaps because it is more difficult to establish (i.e. I failed ).
| Apart from alliteration why is A.Blanda blowsy ? I confess to enjoying
| the way it has self seeded around.

I din't say that it was unattractive and, as usual, the native form
is less blowsy than the hybrids. But it does have vulgarly large
flowers, in vulgarly large numbers - hence the "blowsy". However,
most of us grow a few unrepentantly blowsy flowers, even if we
favour more sophisticated ones as a general rule - I certainly do :-)

Isn't blowsy a description more appropriate to the Anemone
coronaria/pavonina group?

My A. nemorosa isn't the native form, anyway, but a blue hybrid.

The botanists have been busy again, publishing the name Anemonoides
nemerosa for that species.

(Analysis suggests that Anemone in the traditional sense is paraphyletic
with respect to Hepatica, Knowltonia and Pulsatilla. This can be fixed
by recognising the segregate genera Anemonastrum, Anemonoides,
Anemonidium and Eriocapitella, which were originally proposed back in
the 1970s, and extending Anemonoides to species related to A. baldensis
and A. multifida. Anemone then becomes restricted to the bulbous
species.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://lavateraguy.blogspot.com http://www.malvaceae.info
Old 16-03-2008, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Isn't blowsy a description more appropriate to the Anemone
| coronaria/pavonina group?

Oh, very much so! Those are as vulgar as a certain celebrity who I
shall not mention in the interest of good taste and public decency.
However, most forms of A. blanda seem to be hybridised enough to be
classed as blowsy ....

| My A. nemorosa isn't the native form, anyway, but a blue hybrid.
|
| The botanists have been busy again, publishing the name Anemonoides
| nemerosa for that species.

That fails to surprise me!

And, upon a closer inspection, I am not entirely sure that my plant
really is that species, anyway :-) I may have deluded myself again.

I bought it as that, it looks rather like it, but I need an absence
of rain to inspect its flowers with a good lens. It may be what my
books call A. appennina and heaven alone knows what the botanists
call it nowadays.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-03-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Isn't blowsy a description more appropriate to the Anemone
| coronaria/pavonina group?

Oh, very much so! Those are as vulgar as a certain celebrity who I
shall not mention in the interest of good taste and public decency.
However, most forms of A. blanda seem to be hybridised enough to be
classed as blowsy ....

| My A. nemorosa isn't the native form, anyway, but a blue hybrid.
|
| The botanists have been busy again, publishing the name Anemonoides
| nemerosa for that species.

That fails to surprise me!

And, upon a closer inspection, I am not entirely sure that my plant
really is that species, anyway :-) I may have deluded myself again.

I bought it as that, it looks rather like it, but I need an absence
of rain to inspect its flowers with a good lens. It may be what my
books call A. appennina and heaven alone knows what the botanists
call it nowadays.

The true Anemone apennina was in Anemonanthea by an early 19th century
botanist (S.F. Gray), and more recently (with nemorosa and
ranunculoides) in Anemonoides. Anemone apennina senus Boissier is
Anemone blanda.

Fide Stace, Anemone nemorosa has 6-7, rarely 5-9, sepals, and is white,
or pale pink, blue or purple; Anemone apennina has 10-15, rarely 8-18,
sepals, and is blue, rarely white or pink.

I now wonder if I've overlooked Anemone apennina as Anemone blanda; does
anyone happen to know what Wallington grows? (I used to grow Anemone
blanda; but the ones I had didn't qualify as blowsy.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-03-2008, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Fide Stace, Anemone nemorosa has 6-7, rarely 5-9, sepals, and is white,
| or pale pink, blue or purple; Anemone apennina has 10-15, rarely 8-18,
| sepals, and is blue, rarely white or pink.

Yup. And the former has glaucus sepals and the latter may have a few
hairs at the base. Hence my lens. But, in cold, wet rain, even
counting sepals is a pain ....

| I now wonder if I've overlooked Anemone apennina as Anemone blanda; does
| anyone happen to know what Wallington grows? (I used to grow Anemone
| blanda; but the ones I had didn't qualify as blowsy.)

Yeah. I need to look again. Perhaps I am maligning A. blanda because
of the hybrids - but, in mine, the leaf shape is definitely not round.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Anemone blanda Lee and Kath United Kingdom 6 21-12-2003 11:13 AM
Japanese Anemone Janice United Kingdom 0 03-10-2003 12:03 AM
Success with anemone blanda? (Grecian windflower) John Kohl North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 05:34 PM
Anemone blanda showing? Hussein M. United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 01:20 AM
anemone coronaria papa United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 08:03 PM