Old 15-03-2008, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weeding times ahead

Hello all,
my name's Roger I have an allotment i know very little about
gardening but was hopin to pick up a few tips on growing veggies on my
plot.
The plot was absolutely covered with weeds and i covered what area i
could with carpet and a piece of black plastic i believe some of the
weeds were called mares tail there was grass of all varieties. I was
just wondering how long i had to wait before this killed off the
little blighters and i could start digging the ground through with a
few to gettin some potatoes in. cheers to any one that responds.
Old 15-03-2008, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Hello all,
my name's Roger I have an allotment i know very little about
gardening but was hopin to pick up a few tips on growing veggies on my
plot.
The plot was absolutely covered with weeds and i covered what area i
could with carpet and a piece of black plastic i believe some of the
weeds were called mares tail there was grass of all varieties. I was
just wondering how long i had to wait before this killed off the
little blighters and i could start digging the ground through with a
few to gettin some potatoes in. cheers to any one that responds.

Do you really mean Mare's Tail? Or do you have Horse Tail? See he

http://www.sherriff-amenity.co.uk/te...l.asp?newsid=3

As far as I know Horses Tail is a particularly difficult plant to get rid of
(its presence may also mean that your soil is rather on the wet side). Even
if you resort to spraying with herbicide, you may not have a lot of success
as it is covered with a water-repellent layer. See the above link for more
info.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 15-03-2008, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 15, 7:30*pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message

Hello all,
*my name's Roger I have an allotment i know very little about
gardening but was hopin to pick up a few tips on growing veggies on my
plot.
The plot was absolutely covered with weeds and i covered what area i
could with carpet and a piece of black plastic i believe some of the
weeds were called mares tail there was grass of all varieties. I was
just wondering how long i had to wait before this killed off the
little blighters and i could start digging the ground through with a
few to gettin some potatoes in. cheers to any one that responds.

Do you really mean Mare's Tail? *Or do you have Horse Tail? *See he

"Mare's tail" works for me, see;http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/equisetum.asp

Mike

ok well thanks for that i suupodse i shall have to wait a few weeks
then
before i dig through
Old 16-03-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Roger,

what i do with mare or horses tail is the following. If there are individual
bits I place a systemic weedkiller, forget the name of what I used but it
was a paint on one with a brush included.
I get a plastic coin bag, paint the inside with the weed killer and then
place over and wrap tightly around.
I then mark it with a plant label to make finding easier.
After about a week it will have died.
Mares or horse tail have incredibly long and thin roots so hand weeding is
definately a no no.
hope this helps