Old 15-03-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Top Ground Gear Force

Did anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

Cat(h)
Old 15-03-2008, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Cat(h)" writes
Did anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

I watched, because I thought it might be funny. But I found I couldn't
watch such wanton destruction without distress.

I'm curious as to what went on behind the scenes - they claim that Sir
Steve Redgrave was unaware - what sort of conversation went on between
him and his wife?

--
Kay
Old 16-03-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
Did anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

I watched, because I thought it might be funny. But I found I couldn't
watch such wanton destruction without distress.

I'm curious as to what went on behind the scenes - they claim that Sir
Steve Redgrave was unaware - what sort of conversation went on between him
and his wife?

Don't worry, I'm sure it was like every other stunt on Top Gear, totally
made up and orchestrated.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-03-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"K" wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
Did anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

I watched, because I thought it might be funny. But I found I couldn't
watch such wanton destruction without distress.

I'm curious as to what went on behind the scenes - they claim that Sir
Steve Redgrave was unaware - what sort of conversation went on between him
and his wife?

Don't worry, I'm sure it was like every other stunt on Top Gear, totally
made up and orchestrated.

Probably. But some of the damage looked pretty real. And I just didn't
like the concept that such behaviour could be funny.
--
Kay
Old 16-03-2008, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote
Bob Hobden writes

"K" wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
Did anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

I watched, because I thought it might be funny. But I found I couldn't
watch such wanton destruction without distress.

I'm curious as to what went on behind the scenes - they claim that Sir
Steve Redgrave was unaware - what sort of conversation went on between
him
and his wife?

Don't worry, I'm sure it was like every other stunt on Top Gear, totally
made up and orchestrated.

Probably. But some of the damage looked pretty real. And I just didn't
like the concept that such behaviour could be funny.

It's the "lets destroy a bus shelter" mentality, personally I've always been
of the "Lets build something" mentality. Simply, you're either a negative or
a positive person and they have proved themselves a bunch of yobs.
It's the reason I no longer find "Top Gear" of any entertainment value, it
ceased to be of value regarding cars and their respective merits long ago.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-03-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"K" wrote
Bob Hobden writes

"K" wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
[...]

I think it ceased trying to be of value regarding cars, and that's when it
became most entertaining. Sadly I missed the show that has led to all the,
anyone know if its on you tube?

Mike

Old 17-03-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 15, 3:06*pm, K wrote:
"Cat(h)" writesDid anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. *Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

I watched, because I thought it might be funny. But I found I couldn't
watch such wanton destruction without distress.

There was not much done that couldn't be put right relatively easily -
and no doubt at the cost of the organisers of the prank. Digging up
the lawn with a JCB and a crane and putting down some pretty crumbly
looking concrete over some ilk of a membrane - which struck me as if
it could easily be lifted off - was about the size of the actual
damage done to the garden. The shed, greenhouse and "water feature"
were all just brought on site for the purpose of destruction.

OK, so it was not laugh-out-loud hilarious. But I'll admit that I
laughed at Jeremy Clarkson's weeding technique.

I'm curious as to what went on behind the scenes - they claim that Sir
Steve Redgrave was unaware - what sort of conversation went on between
him and his wife?

Unless the man is a fantastic actor, I am quite sure he didn't know.
He was clearly *majorly* weed off. To be fair to him, though, he
smiled (a bit) in the end, after disappearing into the house with wife
and children for a while. He was probably told all about how
everything was going to be repaired...

Cat(h)
Old 17-03-2008, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 17, 10:16*am, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"K" *wrote
Bob Hobden *writes

"K" *wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
[...]

Mike- Hide quoted text -

I don't watch top gear all that often, but whenever I do, it is not
because I am interested in cars. It's the chemistry between the three
protagonists, and it is quite often entertaining enough to keep me
watching till the end.
The prank was silly, but it was compulsive watching, I thought. And
it did raise a smile once or twice.

Cat(h)
Old 17-03-2008, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:58:49 +0000, K wrote:

Bob Hobden writes

"K" wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
Did anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

I watched, because I thought it might be funny. But I found I couldn't
watch such wanton destruction without distress.

I'm curious as to what went on behind the scenes - they claim that Sir
Steve Redgrave was unaware - what sort of conversation went on between him
and his wife?

Don't worry, I'm sure it was like every other stunt on Top Gear, totally
made up and orchestrated.

Probably. But some of the damage looked pretty real. And I just didn't
like the concept that such behaviour could be funny.

No, it was NOT funny. I was appalled at what I saw. I just happened
to see the end when Steve Redgrave returned home and he looked quite
angry before he saw what they had done. I didn't see what the garden
was like before, and I am sure someone (?) will put it right, but the
damage to the lawn looked awful, and somewhere there was a large area
of concrete. How does this raise money for Sport Relief? It was OTT.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-03-2008, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote
Bob Hobden writes

"K" wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
[...]

Have now found it on You tube, all 4 parts. Loved the end when the
greenhouse was finally demolished by the fountain, and wow what a fountain,
they must have tapped into a fire hydrant for that effect. I was sure the
digger was going to hit the greenhouse the way Hammond was flailing it
around before it fell over.
Lets face it "effect" was what it was all about, straight out of the Top
Gear caravan farce style of program planning. No way did they do all that in
the few hours they said they had before sir whotsit returned home.

Mike
(who has also been known to garden with a digger)

risk of ground force kiticat United Kingdom 0 21-05-2004 08:14 AM
Robot Mowers / Ground Force Weedeater United Kingdom 1 30-03-2004 12:29 PM
Walls, rendering and Ground Force Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 5 21-04-2003 12:21 AM
surplus tech gear mhagen alt.forestry 19 13-03-2003 03:08 AM
Ground Force? Duncan Russell United Kingdom 3 21-10-2002 08:24 AM