Old 15-03-2008, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Price of seeds

I have grown Sungold tomatoes every year for about the last ten years.
I always bought seed from Thompson & Morgan - indeed, I was originally
told that they were the only people you could get them from as it was
"their" variety.

I now see that this is incorrect - and you can buy from any number of
sources - (too late from this year - already bought T&M)

I have noticed that there is great variation in the prices - eg ten
seeds for 3 pounds or thirty seeds for three pounds.

My question is : is it worth paying more for such seeds or are the
cheaper ones fine?

Old 15-03-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith" wrote in message

I have grown Sungold tomatoes every year for about the last ten years.
I always bought seed from Thompson & Morgan - indeed, I was originally
told that they were the only people you could get them from as it was
"their" variety.

I now see that this is incorrect - and you can buy from any number of
sources - (too late from this year - already bought T&M)

I have noticed that there is great variation in the prices - eg ten
seeds for 3 pounds or thirty seeds for three pounds.

My question is : is it worth paying more for such seeds or are the
cheaper ones fine?

Over the years I have tried a lot of seed merchants. I had a bad experience
with T&M last year and would not use them again. Their seeds are expensive
and their live plants didn't do well for me (after I'd paid in 2007, they
told me that the plants I wanted wouldn't be available until a year later,
and the ones that arrived in 2007 came as small cuttings, with nothing
around their roots, so they promptly died).

We have shops like Aldi, Lidl and Wilkinson's in our area, and Wilko's seeds
are 29p a packet. You don't get many seeds, but who needs more than 10
tomato seeds of any variety? I've found their seeds very reliable. Lidl is
also good because, being a German company, they sell slightly different
things, e.g. yellow string beans, as well as the regular green ones. They
of course sell all the normal flowers and vegetable seeds.

I can recommend Franchi Italian seeds as well, they have interesting
varieties, although they're pricier. Their Cavolo Nero is to die for.

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/

If you've been growing Sungold for all these years, you should be saving
seed yourself from your tomatoes. Tomato seeds are very hardy and
long-lived, as are all the brassicas and squashes. Carrot and onion seeds
are very short-lived and not worth storing from one year to the next.

HTH

someone

Old 16-03-2008, 04:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:56:06 -0000, "someone"
wrote:

"judith" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for comments.
(Sungold are F1 hybrids and will not reproduce same next season so I
have to buy new seeds every year)
--

judith.

Old 16-03-2008, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 4:41*am, wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:56:06 -0000, "someone"
wrote:

"judith" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

You are right (F1 etc.). I also find Sungold very expensive but worth
it as they are the one variety that I have grown so far that spouse
and kids agree are really really worth the effort. Other tomatoes are
nice and it is very fulfilling to grow them from seed etc. but Sungold
are magic. What annoys me about the price is not the money but the
tiny number of seeds you get in most packets leaving no room for
mistakes.

Des

judith.- Hide quoted text -

Old 16-03-2008, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:47:39 +0000, Rosie wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:40:21 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins wrote:

On Mar 16, 4:41*am, wrote:
[59 quoted lines suppressed]

You are right (F1 etc.). I also find Sungold very expensive but worth
it as they are the one variety that I have grown so far that spouse
and kids agree are really really worth the effort. Other tomatoes are
nice and it is very fulfilling to grow them from seed etc. but Sungold
are magic. What annoys me about the price is not the money but the
tiny number of seeds you get in most packets leaving no room for
mistakes.

Des

[3 quoted lines suppressed]

I've never grown Sungold but I'll definitely try them this year. Will it
be too late to sow seed towards the end of April do you think as I cannot
do so before as we are away for 10 days during that month and I wouldn't
trust anyone looking after our cats to water the seeds.

I have sown in late April in previous years. One year intentionally
left two fruit on the plants and picked them on Christmas Day (just
to be able so say - as here - that I had had own grown toms at
Christmas ;-)

--

judith.

Old 16-03-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 10:27 am, Rosie wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:23:57 +0000, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:47:39 +0000, Rosie wrote:

[21 quoted lines suppressed]

I have sown in late April in previous years. One year intentionally
left two fruit on the plants and picked them on Christmas Day (just
to be able so say - as here - that I had had own grown toms at
Christmas ;-)

Thank you, I'll buy some seeds and see what happens
--
"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend."http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Why not wait until you are in Italy, you will eat so many tomatoes and
love them especially with olive oil and Basil, that you may well find
one that you really want to taste again, bring the seeds back with
you?

Judith
Old 16-03-2008, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message

Over the years I have tried a lot of seed merchants. I had a bad
experience with T&M last year and would not use them again. Their seeds
are expensive and their live plants didn't do well for me (after I'd paid
in 2007, they told me that the plants I wanted wouldn't be available until
a year later, and the ones that arrived in 2007 came as small cuttings,
with nothing around their roots, so they promptly died).

I've had similar experiences with them, and a fucshia I ordered wasn't wht
was advertised. They haven't replied to my e-mails about it. I'm not
ordering from them again despite receiving e-mails and paper catalogues
several times a week. Someobdy has to pay for all that.

We have shops like Aldi, Lidl and Wilkinson's in our area, and Wilko's
seeds are 29p a packet. You don't get many seeds, but who needs more than
10 tomato seeds of any variety?

That's more than enough for me too.

I've found their seeds very reliable. Lidl is also good because, being a
German company, they sell slightly different things, e.g. yellow string
beans, as well as the regular green ones.

I didn't know that, thanks, I'll have a look.

If you've been growing Sungold for all these years, you should be saving
seed yourself from your tomatoes. Tomato seeds are very hardy and
long-lived,

Yes, and in my experience they come true.

Mary

Old 16-03-2008, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

..
We have shops like Aldi, Lidl and Wilkinson's in our area, and Wilko's seeds
are 29p a packet. You don't get many seeds, but who needs more than 10
tomato seeds of any variety? I've found their seeds very reliable. Lidl is
also good because, being a German company, they sell slightly different
things, e.g. yellow string beans, as well as the regular green ones. They
of course sell all the normal flowers and vegetable seeds.

I can recommend Franchi Italian seeds as well, they have interesting
varieties, although they're pricier. Their Cavolo Nero is to die for.

If you go on the booze run to France, the supermarkets have seeds at
most times of the year. In ("It is I...)Leclerc's you can get packets of
50-odd cucumber seeds for about 50p. In this country it is about 4 seeds
for £3.

I also agree that Franchi are very good and plenty of seeds for your money.

Aitch
Old 16-03-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave H" wrote in message
.

If you go on the booze run to France, the supermarkets have seeds at most
times of the year. In ("It is I...)Leclerc's you can get packets of 50-odd
cucumber seeds for about 50p. In this country it is about 4 seeds for £3.

I've never seen so few cucumber seeds in any packet.

What amateur grows 50 cucumber plants at a time - especially of the same
type? Nobody needs 50. Even the Fr*nch.

Mary

Old 16-03-2008, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 1:17 pm, Dave H wrote:
.

[...]

You are quite right, seeds are so cheap here. I was in a
horticultural place yesterday buying a rotovator and all the seeds
including F1 hybrids were 1 euro and lower. If anyone wants seeds,
email me and I will get them and post them to you.

Judith

Old 16-03-2008, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:16:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"someone" wrote in message
.. .

"judith" wrote in message

Over the years I have tried a lot of seed merchants. I had a bad
experience with T&M last year and would not use them again. Their seeds
are expensive and their live plants didn't do well for me (after I'd paid
in 2007, they told me that the plants I wanted wouldn't be available until
a year later, and the ones that arrived in 2007 came as small cuttings,
with nothing around their roots, so they promptly died).

I've had similar experiences with them, and a fucshia I ordered wasn't wht
was advertised. They haven't replied to my e-mails about it. I'm not
ordering from them again despite receiving e-mails and paper catalogues
several times a week. Someobdy has to pay for all that.

I also have not been happy (over and above the price of their seeds);
I also get any number of catalogues from them. Earlier in the spring
I sat down and decided what I wanted and tried to order on-line - with
no success. I then telephoned to place my order and was told that as
I was ordering from three different catalogues - I would have to place
three separate orders !!!!

I declined this suggestion.

--

judith.

Old 16-03-2008, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 3:06 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:16:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

"someone" wrote in message
.. .

"judith" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

If you would like to email me, I am happy to buy whatever seeds you
need and forward them to you.

Judith
Old 16-03-2008, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:00:59 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Mar 16, 3:06 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:16:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

"someone" wrote in message
.. .

"judith" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Many thanks - but I have bought in all that I expect to use for this
year.

(I'll remember you for next year though ;-)

--

judith.

Old 16-03-2008, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:16:02 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"someone" wrote in message
. ..

"judith" wrote in message

[...]

and no doubt three separate p&p charges ...

I declined this suggestion.

Well done.

Mary

--

judith.

Old 16-03-2008, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rosie writes

I've never grown Sungold but I'll definitely try them this year. Will it
be too late to sow seed towards the end of April do you think as I cannot
do so before as we are away for 10 days during that month and I wouldn't
trust anyone looking after our cats to water the seeds.

I try to sow seeds just before a holiday. They'll take 1-2 weeks to
germinate, and if they are in a sealed container (a propagator with the
lid closed, or a big clear plastic bag enclosing the seed tray) the soil
will not dry out, and the seedlings aren't large enough to begin using
water at any significant rate.
--
Kay