Old 27-03-2008, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My New Zealand photos.

George.com wrote:
"with nowt pacific about it", you say. Hmmm. Now, few real Kiwis ever
use the word "nowt". Are you SURE you're not really a "POM" yourself,
Rob? :-)

Lets put it another way. Christchurch will bludge off the hard yakka done by
the Jafas. They have done bugger all to build the event up, and left the
Auckland event to cark it. Fair go? Get of the grass.

The jafas have to watch their event go bush down the boohai with some sheep
cockies. No wonder the jafas packed a sad. An event that was grouse and used
to be chocka with pacific influence will now have bugger all. Its a crook
deal, enough to make a joker want to chunder. The cockies will have shit
show of running a similar event.

That said, the jafa council said they were strapped for cash and turned into
a bunch of pikers. They had three fifths of five eights of **** all one
minute, and then enough money for a flower hooley the next. And not wanting
to send it to the south Auckland wops, the townies have the show in the
original venue. I reckon something is puckeroo here. Got it sussed they
reckon eh? Wouldn't know shit from clay? You are not wrong.

Hee, hee, hee! Well done, Rob! As a person NZ-born of British parents,
and with a masters degree in linguistics, I love this exhibition of
very basic NZ vernacular! Well done! I shall cut and save it. It's a
gem! Not many true-blue Kiwis could write what you've written - only
somebody with some what we call "meta-linguistic ability" (in your case
no doubt due to the strong English influence in your life) could do it.

Anyway, let's get back to some civilised New Zealand English, . . . eh,
mate? :-)

Eddy.

Old 27-03-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
[...]

Beaut mate, real bonza stuff.

rob

Old 27-03-2008, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
[...]

gees wayne, I forgot to add, strewth mate.

rob

Old 27-03-2008, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/3/08 09:40, in article , "George.com"
wrote:

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
[...]

Box of fluffies.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-03-2008, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com wrote:
gees wayne, I forgot to add, strewth mate.

Strewth mate, ya did, didn't ya! One of the most used expressions of
all.

Sacha, "box of fluffies"?

Eddy.

Old 28-03-2008, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
gees wayne, I forgot to add, strewth mate.

Strewth mate, ya did, didn't ya! One of the most used expressions of
all.

Sacha, "box of fluffies"?

Eddy.

bottler, even if you are a blouse Eddy.

rob

ps you can still get eskimo pies, trumpets, choc bombs & milk bottles.
Unfortunately we no longer sell candy cigarettes which I reckon were great.

Old 28-03-2008, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com wrote:
bottler, even if you are a blouse Eddy.

A bottler and a blouse in the same go, Rob? Don't quite know how to
take that, mate!

ps you can still get eskimo pies, trumpets, choc bombs & milk bottles.
Unfortunately we no longer sell candy cigarettes which I reckon were great.

Great. And chocolate fish? And hokey-pokey ice-cream? Yep, I remember
the little white candy cigarettes (basically solid icing-sugar!) with a
dip of red food-colouring on the end. My parents smoked like chimneys
so I guess that was probably why I always somewhat disapproved of the
candy cigarettes. Anyway, re. the word "candy" (or "sweets"), the NZ
word was always "lolly" or "lollies". On special occasions we had
"lolly scrambles" - which involved a teacher or parent throwing handfuls
of lollies into the midst of a bunch of kids on a lawn and then watching
each child desperately scramble (and fight!) to grab as many as
possible. Very uncivilised and somewhat cruel really.

Had to do an internet search for the meaning of "box of fluffies".
Never ever heard it throughout my childhood and youth in NZ Apparently,
it originated amongst Maori people and is used to describe feeling
great, as in "She's like a box of fluffies this morning", or "I was like
a box of fluffies". There's a suggestion it's close to "like a box of
birds", which suggests it may derive from the image of a box of
newly-hatched chicks.

Eddy.

Old 28-03-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eddy writes:
| George.com wrote:
| bottler, even if you are a blouse Eddy.
|
| A bottler and a blouse in the same go, Rob? Don't quite know how to
| take that, mate!
|
| ps you can still get eskimo pies, trumpets, choc bombs & milk bottles.
| Unfortunately we no longer sell candy cigarettes which I reckon were great.
|
| Great. And chocolate fish? And hokey-pokey ice-cream? Yep, I remember
| the little white candy cigarettes (basically solid icing-sugar!) with a
| dip of red food-colouring on the end. ...

I am no longer allowed to post the names of all of the sweets that
used to be popular in my childhood - seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-03-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/3/08 10:05, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Eddy writes:
| George.com wrote:
| bottler, even if you are a blouse Eddy.
|
| A bottler and a blouse in the same go, Rob? Don't quite know how to
| take that, mate!
|
| ps you can still get eskimo pies, trumpets, choc bombs & milk bottles.
| Unfortunately we no longer sell candy cigarettes which I reckon were
great.

| Great. And chocolate fish? And hokey-pokey ice-cream? Yep, I remember
| the little white candy cigarettes (basically solid icing-sugar!) with a
| dip of red food-colouring on the end. ...

I am no longer allowed to post the names of all of the sweets that
used to be popular in my childhood - seriously :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

"Ag please Daddy .............."

Old 28-03-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I am no longer allowed to post the names of all of the sweets that
| used to be popular in my childhood - seriously :-)
|
| "Ag please Daddy .............."

All six, seven of us, eight, nine, ten ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-03-2008, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/3/08 22:25, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I am no longer allowed to post the names of all of the sweets that
| used to be popular in my childhood - seriously :-)
|
| "Ag please Daddy .............."

All six, seven of us, eight, nine, ten ....

Only 8 hours....! Poor Daddy!

Old 29-03-2008, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
bottler, even if you are a blouse Eddy.

A bottler and a blouse in the same go, Rob? Don't quite know how to
take that, mate!

fair suck of the sav Eddy. Eskimo pies & choc bombs are bottler/bottla. So
stop being a sheilas blouse about it.

ps you can still get eskimo pies, trumpets, choc bombs & milk bottles.
Unfortunately we no longer sell candy cigarettes which I reckon were
great.

Great. And chocolate fish? And hokey-pokey ice-cream? Yep, I remember
the little white candy cigarettes (basically solid icing-sugar!) with a
dip of red food-colouring on the end. My parents smoked like chimneys
so I guess that was probably why I always somewhat disapproved of the
candy cigarettes. Anyway, re. the word "candy" (or "sweets"), the NZ
word was always "lolly" or "lollies". On special occasions we had
"lolly scrambles" - which involved a teacher or parent throwing handfuls
of lollies into the midst of a bunch of kids on a lawn and then watching
each child desperately scramble (and fight!) to grab as many as
possible. Very uncivilised and somewhat cruel really.

We can also still get jubes, wine gums, topsies, pebbles & smarties, though
not in 10 cent mixtures any more. Hard case eh. The cookie bear seems to
have carked it mind. Ches n dale, those blokes have also shot through. I
have not seen tingles last time I had a squiz in the dairy. That was yonks
ago mind. Might still be able to get some if you have a good root around.

Had to do an internet search for the meaning of "box of fluffies".
Never ever heard it throughout my childhood and youth in NZ

box of fluffy ducks. Bobs your uncle mate. Thanks for the yack.

rob

Old 29-03-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/3/08 09:49, in article ,
"Eddy" wrote:

snip

Had to do an internet search for the meaning of "box of fluffies".
Never ever heard it throughout my childhood and youth in NZ Apparently,
it originated amongst Maori people and is used to describe feeling
great, as in "She's like a box of fluffies this morning", or "I was like
a box of fluffies". There's a suggestion it's close to "like a box of
birds", which suggests it may derive from the image of a box of
newly-hatched chicks.

Eddy.

That's the one! A friend of mine worked as a doc. In NZ for some time with
Maori people. Friend was English and thought he should learn a few of the
local expressions and sayings to integrate better. One morning, he had an
incredibly nervous male patient and as the minutes of the examination ticked
past the patient's nerves made my friend nervous, too. He wanted to say
something cheery to reassure the poor man and knew it involved some kind of
container and some kind of animals. To his own horror and amazement he
heard himself say "No problems, mate. Bucket of fish", whereupon the
terrified patient shot off the couch and legged it as far away as possible
from this obviously deranged medic.

Old 30-03-2008, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com wrote:
We can also still get jubes, wine gums, topsies, pebbles & smarties, though
not in 10 cent mixtures any more. Hard case eh. The cookie bear seems to
have carked it mind. Ches n dale, those blokes have also shot through. I
have not seen tingles last time I had a squiz in the dairy. That was yonks
ago mind. Might still be able to get some if you have a good root around.

Yikes, thing HAVE changed! I've heard the exasperated expression "Who
do you have to ***** for a drink in this place!" . . . but in order to
get a little paper bag of tingles, Rob? (I'm presuming that the main
meanings of the verb to root in NZ and in the UK are still quite
remarkably different . . . and so let's not go any further on this this
one! :-) - particularly in a group meant for discussing good things
to do in the garden! :-)

Eddy.

Old 30-03-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
That's the one! A friend of mine worked as a doc. In NZ for some time with
Maori people. Friend was English and thought he should learn a few of the
local expressions and sayings to integrate better. One morning, he had an
incredibly nervous male patient and as the minutes of the examination ticked
past the patient's nerves made my friend nervous, too. He wanted to say
something cheery to reassure the poor man and knew it involved some kind of
container and some kind of animals. To his own horror and amazement he
heard himself say "No problems, mate. Bucket of fish", whereupon the
terrified patient shot off the couch and legged it as far away as possible
from this obviously deranged medic.

Interesting tale, Sacha. I wonder if there actually is an expression
"like a bucket of fish" amongst Maori!

By the way, I noticed last night there's a programme on the BBC on
Monday night which you and I may find interesting, regarding recent
revelations about Jersey.

Eddy.

New Zealand yam Dwayne United Kingdom 12 30-06-2003 04:22 PM
Is New Zealand Sphagnum WAS repotting Andrew Orchids 1 24-06-2003 12:56 PM
New Zealand Flax by Mail Order? Don W Gardening 1 07-06-2003 04:20 PM
new zealand flax expert question!! mcameron, bill Gardening 8 06-06-2003 05:56 PM
New Zealand alpines - new photos Geoff Bryant United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 01:27 AM