Old 30-03-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My New Zealand photos.

On 30/3/08 10:24, in article ,
"Eddy" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
That's the one! A friend of mine worked as a doc. In NZ for some time with
Maori people. Friend was English and thought he should learn a few of the
local expressions and sayings to integrate better. One morning, he had an
incredibly nervous male patient and as the minutes of the examination ticked
past the patient's nerves made my friend nervous, too. He wanted to say
something cheery to reassure the poor man and knew it involved some kind of
container and some kind of animals. To his own horror and amazement he
heard himself say "No problems, mate. Bucket of fish", whereupon the
terrified patient shot off the couch and legged it as far away as possible
from this obviously deranged medic.

Interesting tale, Sacha. I wonder if there actually is an expression
"like a bucket of fish" amongst Maori!

By the way, I noticed last night there's a programme on the BBC on
Monday night which you and I may find interesting, regarding recent
revelations about Jersey.

Eddy.

I'll have a look at that. I've heard from my son about some of the personal
in-fighting going on over the politics of this.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-03-2008, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
We can also still get jubes, wine gums, topsies, pebbles & smarties,
though
not in 10 cent mixtures any more. Hard case eh. The cookie bear seems to
have carked it mind. Ches n dale, those blokes have also shot through. I
have not seen tingles last time I had a squiz in the dairy. That was
yonks
ago mind. Might still be able to get some if you have a good root around.

Yikes, thing HAVE changed! I've heard the exasperated expression "Who
do you have to ***** for a drink in this place!" . . . but in order to
get a little paper bag of tingles, Rob?

whatever way you choose to get your 'tingles' Eddy. Not my place to judge
your lifestyle. I'll get mine in a paper bag, if I can find them.

(I'm presuming that the main
meanings of the verb to root in NZ and in the UK are still quite
remarkably different

you are not wrong, but you are. I still love to have a good old root around
from time to time, but my days of rooting around are long time gone. That
said, I am waiting for a load of roots to mature so i can go & dig up my
sweet potatos.

rob

New Zealand yam Dwayne United Kingdom 12 30-06-2003 03:22 PM
Is New Zealand Sphagnum WAS repotting Andrew Orchids 1 24-06-2003 11:56 AM
New Zealand Flax by Mail Order? Don W Gardening 1 07-06-2003 03:20 PM
new zealand flax expert question!! mcameron, bill Gardening 8 06-06-2003 04:56 PM
New Zealand alpines - new photos Geoff Bryant United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 12:27 AM