Old 17-03-2008, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to create the perfect soil for annual flowers

Stuart Noble wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Ornata wrote:
On 17 Mar, 09:22, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Having a small garden with sandy/stony soil, I've decided to
start from scratch on a couple of raised beds by ditching the
existing soil and replacing it with something better. As this is
a small project, I don't care about the cost of materials but
they need to be available from the garden centre in 25kg bags.
Am I right in thinking that general purpose compost and sharp
sand should form the bulk? Things seem to grow well enough in
that medium but for how long? As a compost bin isn't practical
for me, can I buy the equivalent as a commercial product? Maybe a
Phostrogen type liquid feed would be as good?
Any advice appreciated
As you have sandy/stony soil, I do not understand why you need to
buy sharp sand to make up your growing medium. Why not get twice
as much decent compost or manure, and mix your current garden soil
with that? If you don't have enough composted material in your
soil, you'll be
forever watering if we have a dry summer.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Composted bark, other composted matter, John Innes 3. Any general
purpose compost.

Thanks for replying
It looks as though the latter consists of:

7 Loam
3 Peat
2 Sand

to which

0.6kg ground limestone
3.6kg hoof and horn meal
3.6kg superphosphate
1.8kg potassium sulphate

is added per cubic metre

Just because you want to grow annuals it doesn't mean that you have
to go with poor soil. If you use rich soil the annuals will still
grow well, and you won't have to add fertilisers for a year or two.

It also says, "nutrients are typically sufficient for 1-2 months of
growing, after which time additional proprietary feed should be
given". Doesn't sound very long does it? I imagine "topsoil" and
"loam" are pretty much the same thing?

It doesn't sound very long, but they are probably erring on the side of
caution. I would be most surprised if you didn't get a good display of
annuals without additional feeding. Remember too that hoof and horn meal is
effectively a "slow-release" fertiliser, as it takes time to break down in
the soil. Salts like Potassium sulphate are very soluble in water and will
get quickly washed out of sandy soil. Soils containing clay and humus hang
on to soluble material much better.

I would agree with you that topsoil and loam are pretty much the same thing.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 18-03-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Now I know what the basic ingredients are I can hopefully just
add what I think I'm short of :-)
Old 19-04-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 17, 2:22*pm, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

Do you have a pH meter to check your soil
B.Shah
Old 19-04-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

organic matter"?- Hide quoted text -

Are your plants not growing normally, What is the pH content of your
soil.?
If it is not growing normally, then put a Rusty nail
5inches away dig a hole 3inches place the nail and cover spring a
little water, this will raise the iron content from 0.04 to 0.07 and
the problem will be solved. Further questions I am an organic gardener
the Eastern Way

Old 19-04-2008, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

B.Shah- Hide quoted text -

If you buy a Ph meterjust be carefull. check that it is reading OK, I
bought one a few weeks ago, I was supprised to find the field which
hadnt seen any lime for 3 years was giving me a ph reading of 7.5 to 8
and according to it Vinegar was extremly Alkaline, I complained to the
firm importing them and they sent me another , same results, I had to
reverse the wires to get an accurate reading
A lot of these things are mass produced in china ........I say no
more, the old Ph testing kit is a safer bet for small tests.
David Hill