GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171921-newbie.html)

may 16-03-2008 08:05 PM

Newbie

Hi, i am not a gardener as such ,but i am slowly becoming addicted to clematis , if i see one I JUST HAVE TO BUY IT so i think i may have the bug. i have had some failures ,but some have turned out to be a great surprise .

and right now , they seem to be sprouting some new growth really quickly , and i hope that we dont have a really bad frost to kill it off.

i am hoping that there may be some other clematis addicts out there , and i am wanting to learn from others.

one clematis that i got last year was one called JOHN TREASURE i really had to search for this one , i am trying to get clematis which have the names of family members close to me . my husbands name is John and he really is a treasure, so that name appealed to me .

it is now starting to shoot up new growth from the ground so i am so pleased that so far it has not been a failure, and i am really looking foreward to seeing what the flowers are like . i dont think they are the big flowers but as long as it flowers i dont mind .

i have also got one called HELEN CROPPER Helen is my daughter-in-laws name so thats why i got that one ,not sure about the cropper though , (hope she doesnt think that i have come a cropper LOL) i thnk that one will be a pinky lavender one .

any way i could go on ,but just thought i would tell you abit about my new found addiction.

Bob Hobden 16-03-2008 10:39 PM

Newbie

"may" wrote

[...]

Well you need this link then...

www.roselandhouse.co.uk

and if you are lucky Charlie will be along in a moment. He does frequent
this Newsgroup.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Tim W 16-03-2008 11:17 PM

Newbie

"may" wrote in message

Hi, i am not a gardener as such ,but i am slowly becoming addicted
to clematis , if i see one I JUST HAVE TO BUY IT so i think i may
have the bug.[...]

Gardening and shopping are not at all the same thing. If you think that
buying things willl make you happy you are doomed to misery.

Tim W

may 17-03-2008 09:58 AM

i agree completely with that , and no i dont and never have . thats why i am not in misery . but full of the joys of spring . especially when i see the results of my nice clematis
.

JennyC 17-03-2008 05:59 PM

Newbie

"may" wrote in message

Hi, i am not a gardener as such ,but i am slowly becoming addicted
to clematis , if i see one I JUST HAVE TO BUY IT so i think i may
have the bug. i have had some failures ,but some have turned out to be
a great surprise .

snipped
may

I have the same problem with Euphorbia's :~))

Jenny

may 28-03-2008 08:04 PM

just got back from morrisons supermarket, and i have just found 2 very sad looking clematis , they were in amongst the out of date fruit and veggies , and they were only 99p each , so i could not leave them there to die , so i have just planted them in the garden and given them a really good drink they were as dry as a bone. They were THE PRESIDENT, and SUNSET .

Pam Moore 28-03-2008 10:26 PM

Newbie

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:05:47 +0000, may
wrote:

one clematis that i got last year was one called JOHN TREASURE i
really had to search for this one , i am trying to get clematis which
have the names of family members close to me . my husbands name is John
and he really is a treasure, so that name appealed to me .

Hello May
I loved your clematis photos.
I see you have John Treasure. Not sure where you found it but do you
realise that he was a clematis breeder, and his garden centre is
called Treasures of Tenbury Wells in Worcestershire. I visited once
and the plant centre had loads of clematis. You could get a
catalogue.
When we were there we got chatting to the head gardener, and I asked
if John Treasure was still around. "Yes he's just over there under a
stone in the graveyard" was the reply!
I'd seen the man on TV, with Geoff Hamilton, and knew he would be
quite an age if still alive!

Pam in Bristol

may 30-03-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Moore (Post 781265)
wrote:

[...]

Hi, yes i can tell you where i got my JOHN TREASURE it was from ( Sheila chapman clematis) i was looking online for the names of clematis and that is where i found it .

i ordered her catalogue and then i phoned her up and ordered it, i also ordered one called helen cropper from her. ...

she has a site online WWW. sheilachapman.com

the place that you mentioned is BURFORD HOUSE and i have been there a couple of years ago, it is a nice garden to visit with clematis to see. it was when i went to burford house that i realized there was a clematis called JOHN TREASURE . I did try to buy one at their garden centre but they did not have one.

so after that the search was on to find one . and sheila chapmans was the only place that i could find one.

i only put it in the ground last year and i am pleased to say that it has 2 good new shoots coming up from the ground .

i was looking for clematis with the name JOHN and it was ideal .

may 30-03-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Moore (Post 781265)
. [/i][/color]

Hello May
I loved your clematis photos.

Pam in Bristol

thank you,

i will hopefully have some more pics this year, i have just counted up how many clematis i now have in the garden ,and it is 22 but most of them are only planted last year and this year ,so i will have to wait and see how they turn out .

they all seem to be growing so watch this space.

i only have a small garden but it is surprising how many i can find a place for .

Stuart Noble 30-03-2008 03:52 PM

Newbie

may wrote:
Pam Moore;781265 Wrote:
.

Hello May
I loved your clematis photos.

Pam in Bristol

thank you,

i will hopefully have some more pics this year, i have just counted
up how many clematis i now have in the garden ,and it is 22 but most
of them are only planted last year and this year ,so i will have to
wait and see how they turn out .

they all seem to be growing so watch this space.

i only have a small garden but it is surprising how many i can find a
place for .

[/i][/color]

You're lucky. I can't even get one to grow. Well, if I prune it in
Autumn, I get masses of foliage and no flowers. If I leave it, which I
have over this winter, it looks like I'm going to get masses of twigs
with perhaps the odd bloom 5 feet off the ground. It's a summer
flowering, deep red job and, if it doesn't shape up this year, it's on
its way out I'm afraid.

may 31-03-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Noble (Post 781538)

[/i][/color]

You're lucky. I can't even get one to grow. Well, if I prune it in
Autumn, I get masses of foliage and no flowers. If I leave it, which I
have over this winter, it looks like I'm going to get masses of twigs
with perhaps the odd bloom 5 feet off the ground. It's a summer
flowering, deep red job and, if it doesn't shape up this year, it's on
its way out I'm afraid.

maybe it needs a good feed ,i have heard that they like there food

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 31-03-2008 08:56 AM

Newbie

In article ,
says...
may wrote:
Pam Moore;781265 Wrote:
.

[...]

Start with something like Polish Spirit or Etoile Violette, forget the
large flowered sorts till you get the hang of it!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk