Old 18-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered User

Cool Gladioli and Asiatic Lily bulbs - Advice please

Hi,

I have some glad and asiatic lily bulbs and was wondering what was the best time to plant them?
It says on the packets 'plant in spring'
Is it more beneficial to plant the bulbs in pots and start them off indoors, or can I plant them outside now for spring/summer flowering.
Basically, will they survive the frosts if I plant them out now?
Would it make much of a difference if started indoors?
I'm running out of space here!
If to be started off indoors, do I do it the same method as Begonia's. i.e surface planted until sprouts, then covered with damp soil!

Thanks in advance.
Old 18-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Hi,

I have some glad and asiatic lily bulbs and was wondering what was the best time to plant them?
It says on the packets 'plant in spring'
Is it more beneficial to plant the bulbs in pots and start them off indoors, or can I plant them outside now for spring/summer flowering.
Basically, will they survive the frosts if I plant them out now?
Would it make much of a difference if started indoors?
I'm running out of space here!
If to be started off indoors, do I do it the same method as Begonia's. i.e surface planted until sprouts, then covered with damp soil!

Thanks in advance.

A lot does depend on where you are. I am warmish location near London and we don't get much frost. I started some of my Gladioli off in pots last month on my warm sunny patio and I've just this week transferred them to their final pots. They are sprouting fine!

You could do the same with some of your bulbs in pots, which will give then a head start, but I would wait till April before putting the bulbs in the ground. It is best to stagger your plantings anyway as you will get more of a continuous show this summer. If you plant them indoors remember to keep them away from Radiatiors etc.
Old 18-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
A lot does depend on where you are. I am warmish location near London and we don't get much frost. I started some of my Gladioli off in pots last month on my warm sunny patio and I've just this week transferred them to their final pots. They are sprouting fine!

You could do the same with some of your bulbs in pots, which will give then a head start, but I would wait till April before putting the bulbs in the ground. It is best to stagger your plantings anyway as you will get more of a continuous show this summer. If you plant them indoors remember to keep them away from Radiatiors etc.
Hi Fluffball,

I'm in Essex.

Is it possible to just plant them in the ground the beginning of April?
I'm running out of room to pot them up!!

Cheers
Old 18-03-2008, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gladioli and Asiatic Lily bulbs - Advice please

plant 5 to a 14 inch tub well spaced 1.5 times the depth of the bulb, also
plant acidanthera, gladioli, all in the same tub,( bear in mind the height
of lilies, either plant glads and acidenthera inside lilies if taller or
outside if shorter, ), anemone, oxalis, plus other small bulbs, to give a
wonderful and lasting show, keep in sheltered spot maybe under a shrub or
tree until weather warms up. Most lilies are pretty hardy, mine are showing
about 3 to 4 inches now above compost.
Use JI no.3 with added peat, broken pieces of polystyrene as drainage. add
bonemeal or fish blood and bone to the bottom layer, you could add extra
grit below bulbs for added drainage.
They will last in this for approximately 3 years increasing each year.
As they almost finish flowering feed with tomato fertiliser fortnightly
until leaves start to drop.
over winter just store under hedge/tree/shrub until signs of growth next
year.
One final point, lilies are susceptible to lily beatle which is becoming
more prevalent, as soon as leaves form well, spray with provado ultimate bug
killer and spray every 6 weeks till flowers are ready to open.

I have just purchased some pineapple lilies 5 for £1 in Poundland, never
grown them before but hoping for the best.
regards
Cineman

--
Bashy

Old 21-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Hi Fluffball,

I'm in Essex.

Is it possible to just plant them in the ground the beginning of April?
I'm running out of room to pot them up!!

Cheers
To be safer, I'd say the end of April to early May. I wouldn't put them in all at once though, just in case.

Advice please re Baby Gladioli ! Isobel Gardening 1 09-06-2012 05:28 AM
Advice please on baby Gladioli! Isobel United Kingdom 0 08-06-2012 11:04 PM
Gladioli Bulbs GrowGuru Gardening 0 08-02-2011 06:06 PM
Asiatic Lilies Planting Advice Please Zarch United Kingdom 1 02-05-2007 09:50 PM
Gladioli, crocosmia .... bulbs? what to do with them? EagleEyes United Kingdom 1 06-08-2006 06:32 PM