Old 19-03-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Iris don't flower

Hi there,

I have a clump of Iris, maybe a foot wide. The first year it flowered
very nicely but since then all I get is lots of healthy looking
foliage and a bigger clump.

thoughts?

cheers

Lord0
Old 19-03-2008, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You need to indicate what sort of Iris its supposed to be, they vary so
widely in requirements, if you are not sure of the name describe the
plant

I *think* it's a Bearded Iris - it certainly looked like one the last
time it flowered. The flower was purple with a yellow and black
speckled centre.

I was reading on the web that maybe it's planted too deep. This could
be the case as the border gets a lot of mulch and compost so the Iris
is in effect getting deeper and deeper each year. Sound plausible?

Lord0

Old 19-03-2008, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

But it does sound as if
yours are planted too deeply.

Yeah, by now now they must be at least 6 inches or so down. Well I'm
off to dig 'em up!

Thanks for your time

Lord0

Old 19-03-2008, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lord0" wrote ...
But it does sound as if
yours are planted too deeply.

Yeah, by now now they must be at least 6 inches or so down. Well I'm
off to dig 'em up!

Thanks for your time

One of my favourite plants.
I doubt they will flower this year either, the roots need a good summer
baking in the sun to flower well the next year, it's just about the only
requirement for these easy to grow plants. Replant them with the root part
facing the sun and make sure nothing shades them, pray for sun too. They are
normally split and replanted a few weeks after finishing flowering, about
every three years, so that is the time to improve the soil with a little
manure etc.
It's not easy in the garden environment to ensure full sun if it's crammed
with plants like ours. That's why we grow our Bearded Iris out on the
allotment now.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-03-2008, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lord0" wrote in message

I *think* it's a Bearded Iris - it certainly looked like one the last
time it flowered. The flower was purple with a yellow and black
speckled centre.

Tall Bearded Iris only flower once and after they flower they will then put
their energy into producing new rhizomes so if it is an old congested clump,
you will need to divide and replant the newer, younger rhizomes.

I was reading on the web that maybe it's planted too deep. This could
be the case as the border gets a lot of mulch and compost so the Iris
is in effect getting deeper and deeper each year. Sound plausible?

Yep.They prefer medium to heavy loam and slightly alkaline soil. They are
supposedly gross feeders but I don't bother to feed mine much (or in fact
water them much either) and they still flower so they are very forgiving
plants. I use them as 'pioneer plants' in areas on the outlying parts of my
garden.

I'm in Australia and have soil that in some places is still totally
unimproved from when the land was first cleared of bush. My soil is
relatively infertile in comparison to yours I suspect.

I don't mulch my irises so if mine survive in weeks of high 30+C temps, no
rain and most often no water as I use that on things that need it to
survive, you won't need mulch in the UK. In fact mulch could introduce too
much moisture round the rhizome which could rot them.

Old 20-03-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

[...]

Are the OP's bearded iris? The OP described them as purple with (IIRC)
yellow and black spots at the centre. Could they be sibirica? And if so,
are the requirements the same?
--
Kay
Old 20-03-2008, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 20, 5:42 pm, K wrote:
[...]

Hi Kay, do you remember years ago I had the same problem? It was
because I had planted them too deeply. I think it was you who told me
where I had gone wrong.

Judith
Old 20-03-2008, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes

Hi Kay, do you remember years ago I had the same problem? It was
because I had planted them too deeply. I think it was you who told me
where I had gone wrong.

Not me! No good at irises :-)
--
Kay

Old 20-03-2008, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lord0" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have a clump of Iris, maybe a foot wide. The first year it flowered
very nicely but since then all I get is lots of healthy looking
foliage and a bigger clump.

thoughts?

-don't plant to deep - the rhizomes need to be baked in the sun
-plant in the sun :~)
-they do better on poor soil IMO

Jenny

Old 20-03-2008, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

Are the OP's bearded iris? The OP described them as purple with (IIRC)
yellow and black spots at the centre. Could they be sibirica? And if so,
are the requirements the same?

He said he thinks it's a bearded Iris.

He did indeed. But then he gave that description.
--
Kay
Old 20-03-2008, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

I think it would help him to look at some Google Images of different Iris.
There are, after all, some that grow in water! Iris sibirica like dry
conditions.

I had better not tell that to those I've had in my pond for 25 years. :-)

Iris confusa likes to be fairly moist. I suppose it could be
that in which case, lucky him!

Or the beautiful Iris laevigata which can also be a bog plant.

Some links for the OP to look at
http://www.ensata.com/HTML/PlantPages/species_&_bog.htm

http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/index.asp (and do a Search for Iris)

--