GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sowing Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172025-sowing-seeds.html)

AriesVal 20-03-2008 10:15 AM

Sowing Seeds

I'm wondering if bought in compost or John Innes is best for sowing seeds
in a tray in the greenhouse ? What is your preference and why?

--
http://www.copelands.plus.com/val
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's

Jeff Layman 20-03-2008 10:58 AM

Sowing Seeds

AriesVal wrote:
I'm wondering if bought in compost or John Innes is best for sowing
seeds in a tray in the greenhouse ? What is your preference and why?

I prefer John Innes as it is much easier to wet when it gets on the dry
side, and doesn't shrink as much when it dries out.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Judith in France 20-03-2008 11:02 AM

Sowing Seeds

On Mar 20, 10:15 am, AriesVal wrote:
I'm wondering if bought in compost or John Innes is best for sowing seeds
in a tray in the greenhouse ? What is your preference and why?

--http://www.copelands.plus.com/val
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's
required. Sir Winston Churchill

I buy seed compost, any make and if I am sowing very fine seeds, I
will sieve it in a flour sieve.

Judith

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-03-2008 11:25 AM

Sowing Seeds

In article ,
says...
I'm wondering if bought in compost or John Innes is best for sowing seeds
in a tray in the greenhouse ? What is your preference and why?

I prefer a seed compost, most have added sand or are soil based and wet
more easily, are finer in structure and have a lower nutrient level. but
it is very much depandant on how you garden as to what will suit you
best, there are no hard and fast rules
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha[_3_] 20-03-2008 11:30 AM

Sowing Seeds

On 20/3/08 10:15, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

I'm wondering if bought in compost or John Innes is best for sowing seeds
in a tray in the greenhouse ? What is your preference and why?

Hello, Val! We use a particular seed compost because it's not too high in
nutrients that seeds don't need in the early stages. It's worth getting the
right stuff because it doesn't go off and if you shut the bag you can use it
again later.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk