GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Raising the level of lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172026-raising-level-lawn.html)

The Doctor[_2_] 20-03-2008 01:52 PM

Raising the level of lawn

I recently planted turf rolls between pavers in my backyard, but now that
everything has settled I've found that the lawn is lower than I wanted.
My plan is to leave it to fully establish for a few months then lay maybe a
cm of dirt across the top, the plan being that the grass will grow up
through it & re-establish itself.
Will that work? Does any one have a better idea to raise the level that
doesn't involve starting again?

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-03-2008 02:20 PM

Raising the level of lawn

In article ,
says...
I recently planted turf rolls between pavers in my backyard, but now that
everything has settled I've found that the lawn is lower than I wanted.
My plan is to leave it to fully establish for a few months then lay maybe a
cm of dirt across the top, the plan being that the grass will grow up
through it & re-establish itself.
Will that work? Does any one have a better idea to raise the level that
doesn't involve starting again?

We had a similar problem recently and found that the addition of some
grass seed to the surface soil after compacting etc helped, we did the
job the last week of September and it was looking pretty good by
Christmas and we were able to walk on it and mow as normal by April the
following year.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

An Oasis 20-03-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doctor[_2_] (Post 779761)
I recently planted turf rolls between pavers in my backyard, but now that
everything has settled I've found that the lawn is lower than I wanted.
My plan is to leave it to fully establish for a few months then lay maybe a
cm of dirt across the top, the plan being that the grass will grow up
through it & re-establish itself.
Will that work? Does any one have a better idea to raise the level that
doesn't involve starting again?

Yup a gradual period of top dressing will eventually raise the height of the lawn.

Derek 20-03-2008 11:49 PM

Raising the level of lawn

"The Doctor" wrote in message
I recently planted turf rolls between pavers in my backyard, but now that
everything has settled I've found that the lawn is lower than I wanted.
My plan is to leave it to fully establish for a few months then lay maybe
a cm of dirt across the top, the plan being that the grass will grow up
through it & re-establish itself.
Will that work? Does any one have a better idea to raise the level that
doesn't involve starting again?

A side effect of our attempts to improve drainage by spiking and top
dressing with coarse sand has been to raise the level of the lawn .
we have a freely draining lawn at last.
Derek

Chris J Dixon 21-03-2008 08:07 AM

Raising the level of lawn

The Doctor wrote:

I recently planted turf rolls between pavers in my backyard, but now that
everything has settled I've found that the lawn is lower than I wanted.
My plan is to leave it to fully establish for a few months then lay maybe a
cm of dirt across the top, the plan being that the grass will grow up
through it & re-establish itself.
Will that work? Does any one have a better idea to raise the level that
doesn't involve starting again?

In theory it can work, but trying to do it all at once might be a
bit too much. How big an area is it - have you calculated the
volume of extra soil you will need?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

pied piper 21-03-2008 09:37 AM

Raising the level of lawn

"The Doctor" wrote in message
I recently planted turf rolls between pavers in my backyard, but now that
everything has settled I've found that the lawn is lower than I wanted.
My plan is to leave it to fully establish for a few months then lay maybe
a cm of dirt across the top, the plan being that the grass will grow up
through it & re-establish itself.
Will that work? Does any one have a better idea to raise the level that
doesn't involve starting again?
If the area isnt too big u can simply roll back the turf one at a time and
pack some soil underneath this will instantly raise the level