Old 22-03-2008, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry hedge

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| I'm surprised that anyone would actually want elderberry as
| a hedge. I've always treated it as a "hedge weed" and
| chopped them out of existing hawthorn hedges at every
| opportunity. Perhaps that attitude comes from my farming
| background where elderflower is just too flimsy to make a
| barrier against cattle in hedging and is literally a waste
| of space. It also tends to self seed everywhere. Awful
| stuff. In view of the small garden I'd definitely go for
| trellis and climbing plants... lots of choice of clematis
| etc.

Yes, all of that is true, but I like elder. It is decorative
in flower and fruit, both can be used in cooking (though I don't
like the berries much), and you can make peashooters from it ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-03-2008, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| I'm surprised that anyone would actually want elderberry as
| a hedge. I've always treated it as a "hedge weed" and
| chopped them out of existing hawthorn hedges at every
| opportunity. Perhaps that attitude comes from my farming
| background where elderflower is just too flimsy to make a
| barrier against cattle in hedging and is literally a waste
| of space. It also tends to self seed everywhere. Awful
| stuff. In view of the small garden I'd definitely go for
| trellis and climbing plants... lots of choice of clematis
| etc.

Yes, all of that is true, but I like elder. It is decorative
in flower and fruit, both can be used in cooking (though I don't
like the berries much), and you can make peashooters from it ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

.... and the birds love it

Old 22-03-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson says...
The message from "Mr X" contains these words:

Well I'm not much of a gardener but I thought Id get a quick screen from
elderberry and I love elderberry juice. I would be interested in any better
suggestions. I just need a bit of fast growing privacy in my tiny gardern.

I have a mixture of beech, hawthorn and blackthorn. Not exactly
rapid-growing, but I intend to be around for quite a while yet,
and I love sloe gin! ;-)

I have difficulty getting rid of the elderberry trees in my garden,
and _yes_ they do grow that tall!

They tend to self set in situations where they are
difficult to get rid of e.g. between a shed and a wall.

I've completely chopped down one at my fathers house that
has grown to tree size on two occasions now, between a shed
and his garage in a gap of less than one foot. Virtually
inaccessible hence impossible to dig up. It has finally won
and is now growing through the rotten shed floor and out of
the broken shed windows! The branches have also damaged the
garage roof where they keep rubbing in the wind.

I've seen them growing and wreaking havoc in similar narrow
gaps all over the country.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 22-03-2008, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha says...
I've completely chopped down one at my fathers house that
has grown to tree size on two occasions now

snip

Gasp! Now the witches will get you!

I was wondering why a woman has just gone hurtling past the
window sitting on a broom :-)

Is there some folk law associated with cutting down
elderberry trees?

Old 22-03-2008, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy says...
Sacha says...
I've completely chopped down one at my fathers house that
has grown to tree size on two occasions now

snip

Gasp! Now the witches will get you!

I was wondering why a woman has just gone hurtling past the
window sitting on a broom :-)

Is there some folk law associated with cutting down
elderberry trees?

Blimey you may be right - the moment I hit the send button
on my last post there was a massive clap of thunder! I
thought the barn roof had perhaps collapsed but no - it is
still there. Sling it down with snow now. Snow AND thunder?
Strange?
Old 22-03-2008, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson says...
The last one I attempted to demolish was growing (as you say)
in a narrow gap between a shed and a fence. I cut it as close
to ground level as I could, leaving a stump of about 8" which
I then attacked with an axe - this week I noticed that there
are young shoots growing from the decimated stump...

Within a two or three years it will be tree size again if
left unchecked. The only way I found of permanently getting
rid of one in such a position was by pouring an entire tub
of sodium chlorate weed killer around its base while it was
in full growth. This had to be repeated twice before it
finally gave up and died. I don't know if that stump killer
is any good - what's it called? Something like SBK?
Old 22-03-2008, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
still others wouldn't allow it to be used to me furniture or cradles

I would have thought that was more a matter of practicality
--
Kay
Old 22-03-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| Within a two or three years it will be tree size again if
| left unchecked.

Albeit a very small tree.

| The only way I found of permanently getting
| rid of one in such a position was by pouring an entire tub
| of sodium chlorate weed killer around its base while it was
| in full growth. This had to be repeated twice before it
| finally gave up and died. I don't know if that stump killer
| is any good - what's it called? Something like SBK?

Yes. A.k.a. brushwood killer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-03-2008, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/3/08 15:25, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
still others wouldn't allow it to be used to me furniture or cradles

I would have thought that was more a matter of practicality

According to folklore, it was superstition. If you really believed that
witches could turn themselves into elder trees, you wouldn't put your baby
to sleep in a cradle made of witch!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Elderberry Cutting Steve Newport United Kingdom 16 12-09-2008 04:01 AM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 05:29 PM
Elderberry wick with blackfly! Pip United Kingdom 14 01-06-2004 11:18 AM
Elderberry wine & twitch MDHJWH Australia 1 27-10-2003 09:32 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 06:57 PM