Old 22-03-2008, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry hedge

On 22/3/08 15:57, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 22/3/08 15:25, in article , "K"
| wrote:
|
| Sacha writes
| still others wouldn't allow it to be used to me furniture or cradles
| I would have thought that was more a matter of practicality
|
| According to folklore, it was superstition. If you really believed that
| witches could turn themselves into elder trees, you wouldn't put your baby
| to sleep in a cradle made of witch!

Well, I had a great-aunt who went through a ritual to become a witch :-)

I bet you didn't use glyphosate on her, Nick!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-03-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren says...

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| Within a two or three years it will be tree size again if
| left unchecked.

Albeit a very small tree.

As trees go, yes they are small, but they do grow very
fast. In a race I'd say they'd leave Leylandii standing
(for the first 10 feet anyway :-).

Probably why the timber is useless, it's much too pulpy and
soft.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 22-03-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Well, I had a great-aunt who went through a ritual to become a witch :-)
|
| I bet you didn't use glyphosate on her, Nick!

Indeed, no!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-03-2008, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| | Within a two or three years it will be tree size again if
| | left unchecked.
|
| Albeit a very small tree.
|
| As trees go, yes they are small, but they do grow very
| fast. In a race I'd say they'd leave Leylandii standing
| (for the first 10 feet anyway :-).
|
| Probably why the timber is useless, it's much too pulpy and
| soft.

Actually, no, it isn't. The young wood is, but it hardens up
considerably as it ages, and any stems of over 2" in diameter
are really quite hard.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-03-2008, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K writes:
| Sacha writes
|
| still others wouldn't allow it to be used to me furniture or cradles
| I would have thought that was more a matter of practicality
|
| According to folklore, it was superstition. If you really believed that
| witches could turn themselves into elder trees, you wouldn't put your baby
| to sleep in a cradle made of witch!
|
| See David's post about the quality of the timber. I doubt whether you
| could make a baby's cradle out of it, even if there were no
| superstition.

See mine, too :-)

You could, but it would be a damn-fool activity - comparable in
perversity to using upland blackthorn for the same purpose. My
limited experience of testing woodworking tools on it is that its
mature wood is comparable in hardness and grain to box. But
without the uniformity and in much smaller sizes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-03-2008, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderberry hedge - O.T.

"Mr X" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

Well I'm not much of a gardener but I thought Id get a quick screen from
elderberry and I love elderberry juice. I would be interested in any
better suggestions. I just need a bit of fast growing privacy in my tiny
gardern.

What do you do with elderberry juice, aside from mashing them to make wine?
How do you process elderberries?

I'd love to know as we have so many trees around us and if I knew what to do
with the berries (aside from making wine), I'd try it. I tried jam once but
needed to add pectin.

Please post how to make juice, I had never considered it because they're
quite, erm, tart, aren't they?

someone

Old 22-03-2008, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"someone" writes:
| "Mr X" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| What do you do with elderberry juice, aside from mashing them to make wine?
| How do you process elderberries?

You can eat them raw, or cook them like any other berry, though I don't
like them much. I find them sickly.

| Please post how to make juice, I had never considered it because they're
| quite, erm, tart, aren't they?

No, not really. High in tannin, but fairly low in acid. Use a
juicer, or just squueze them in a cloth (one you don't mind getting
stained).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-03-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
"Mr X" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

Well I'm not much of a gardener but I thought Id get a quick screen
from elderberry and I love elderberry juice. I would be interested
in any better suggestions. I just need a bit of fast growing privacy
in my tiny gardern.

What do you do with elderberry juice, aside from mashing them to make
wine? How do you process elderberries?

They make good, if somewhat strangely flavoured, jam.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 24-03-2008, 02:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote in message
The message
from "someone" contains these words:

What do you do with elderberry juice, aside from mashing them to make
wine?
How do you process elderberries?

(1).Elderberry Chutney,

(2) Elderberry and Crabapple Chutney

- and I did once, many years ago, make Elderberry Soup.

(1).
2 Pints Elderberries - no stalks
¼ lb Seedless Raisins
¼ lb Sugar
2 oz Onions - very finely chopped
½ oz Salt
pinch of Cayenne
pinch of Allspice
1 pint Vinegar

Put one-third of the Vinegar, and all the other ingredients
except the Sugar in a pan, and simmer until thick.

Add a second one-third of the Vinegar, and simmer until
thick.

Add the rest of the Vinegar, and the warmed Sugar, and
simmer until thick; pot and cover.

Chutney is ready if no liquid is visible when a wooden spoon
is drawn through the mixture.

(2)
1½ lbs Elderberries - rather under-ripe
1½ lbs Crab Apples
½ lb Sultanas
½ lb Onions
1 pint Vinegar
½ lb Sugar
1 tsp each of ground: Ginger, Cinnamon, Allspice and
Cayenne Pepper
4 oz Salt

Mince the onions and cook in Water until tender; strain and
add one-third of the Vinegar, and all the other Ingredients
except the Sugar, and simmer until thick.

Continue as for Elderberry Chutney.

Jennifer

Terrific! Thanks for the recipes, will give them a go in the late summer.
We also have lots of crab apples in the countryside around us.

s.

Old 24-03-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jeff Layman writes
someone wrote:
"Mr X" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

Well I'm not much of a gardener but I thought Id get a quick screen
from elderberry and I love elderberry juice. I would be interested
in any better suggestions. I just need a bit of fast growing privacy
in my tiny gardern.

What do you do with elderberry juice, aside from mashing them to make
wine? How do you process elderberries?

They make good, if somewhat strangely flavoured, jam.

Rather a high pip to fruit level - better strained to make a jelly.

Also good instead of blackberries with apples for pies and crumbles
etc.
--
Kay
Old 25-03-2008, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from David in Normandy contains
these words:

I don't know if that stump killer
is any good - what's it called? Something like SBK?

That's Shrub & Brush Killer. I've never had much success
with the stuff...

I've used sbk on elder and it worked well. A mixture of big old and
medium sized trees - all cut down to good sized stumps. I think the key
is to drill lots of holes through the bark and into the timber - then
'inject' the sbk into the holes. Did this nearly 3 years ago and
haven't had a squeak out of them (or any new shoots nearby) since - and
the remains are rotting away nicely.

--
regards andyw

Elderberry Cutting Steve Newport United Kingdom 16 12-09-2008 05:01 AM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 06:29 PM
Elderberry wick with blackfly! Pip United Kingdom 14 01-06-2004 12:18 PM
Elderberry wine & twitch MDHJWH Australia 1 27-10-2003 10:32 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 07:57 PM