Old 23-03-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Osmosis watering?

Can anyone advise me on a way to make an osmosis watering system for
when
I'm away from home please?

http://science-stuff.tripod.com/watering.jpg

Look at this diagram of my setup. The position of the basin of water
also
the plantpot is fixed, so I can't drop the pot to ground level for
instance.

Firstly, will this "wick" system work?
If so, then how can I construct the wick etc.?
First thought is hollow plastic tube stuffed with sponge rubber....
.....What do you think?

Thank you.

Old 24-03-2008, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:46:21 -0700 (PDT), sensible
wrote:

If so, then how can I construct the wick etc.?
First thought is hollow plastic tube stuffed with sponge rubber....
....What do you think?

I find that aquarium air line tube with a length of knitting wool
threaded through it works OK. It also works in reverse!

That sounds a good idea, I suppose the more strands you can get into it the
higher it will lift? What is the approx height of water lift you can
achieve?
Don

Old 24-03-2008, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:19:52 -0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

If so, then how can I construct the wick etc.?
First thought is hollow plastic tube stuffed with sponge rubber....
....What do you think?

I find that aquarium air line tube with a length of knitting wool
threaded through it works OK. It also works in reverse!

That sounds a good idea, I suppose the more strands you can get into it
the
higher it will lift? What is the approx height of water lift you can
achieve?
Don

I suppose it would be possible to thread a fine line first and then
use it to pull more strands through.

I didn't measure the height but, from memory, it was about six inch.
It would be interesting to try a few feet!

Yes, a loop of fishing line pushed through the tube so that the loop
projects out the other end, then thread a length (or multiple lengths) of
wool through the loop and pull it (them)through the tube. Cut a bit off each
end of the tube and you there you have it.
I must go down to our local Halfords to buy some tube.
Cheers
Don

Osmosis watering? sensible Gardening 3 23-03-2008 07:20 PM
OT, oxygenation, was Reverse Osmosis Question... NetMax Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-09-2003 02:52 AM
Reverse Osmosis Question... gizmo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 06-09-2003 12:03 AM
Reverse Osmosis Water Greg Dalton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 03-09-2003 10:27 PM
reverse osmosis idiot Ben Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:14 AM