Old 24-03-2008, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sandstone paving

Some years ago I bought some concerete paving slabs 12" (29cm) square. At
the time I had a choice of colour: red, dark grey or light sand colour.
After a while the nice light sand colour i chose just turned to a dark dirty
grey. As I guess the coating to the cement just wore off or 'reacted' with
the elements.

I now need a few more of these slabs and have just seen that B&Q are selling
a similar sized slab for £3.99 that is made from Real Sandstone. Is
Sandstone just as likely to turn the same dirty colour as the cement after a
while or will it be more likely to retain the more cheerful yellow colour?
Thanks for advice.

Old 24-03-2008, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"johngood_____" writes:

| Some years ago I bought some concerete paving slabs 12" (29cm) square. At
| the time I had a choice of colour: red, dark grey or light sand colour.
| After a while the nice light sand colour i chose just turned to a dark dirty
| grey. As I guess the coating to the cement just wore off or 'reacted' with
| the elements.

Yes, well, a coating will ....

| I now need a few more of these slabs and have just seen that B&Q are selling
| a similar sized slab for £3.99 that is made from Real Sandstone. Is
| Sandstone just as likely to turn the same dirty colour as the cement after a
| while or will it be more likely to retain the more cheerful yellow colour?
| Thanks for advice.

It depends whether they are real sandstone, Real Sandstone (TM) or
they are just called Real Sandstone.

If the first, you will always be able to restore the colour by giving
them a good scrub. If the last two, you are paying good money for a
catchy name, and that may or may not be possible. At the price they
quote, and knowing B&Q, I suspect one of the last two.

What they probably are is real sandstone detritus cemented together.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"johngood_____" writes:

| Some years ago I bought some concerete paving slabs 12" (29cm) square. At
| the time I had a choice of colour: red, dark grey or light sand colour.
| After a while the nice light sand colour i chose just turned to a dark dirty
| grey. As I guess the coating to the cement just wore off or 'reacted' with
| the elements.

Yes, well, a coating will ....

| I now need a few more of these slabs and have just seen that B&Q are selling
| a similar sized slab for £3.99 that is made from Real Sandstone. Is
| Sandstone just as likely to turn the same dirty colour as the cement after a
| while or will it be more likely to retain the more cheerful yellow colour?
| Thanks for advice.

It depends whether they are real sandstone, Real Sandstone (TM) or
they are just called Real Sandstone.

If the first, you will always be able to restore the colour by giving
them a good scrub. If the last two, you are paying good money for a
catchy name, and that may or may not be possible. At the price they
quote, and knowing B&Q, I suspect one of the last two.

What they probably are is real sandstone detritus cemented together.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The standard 18" x 18" cement slabs for a little over a quid
(Castacrete?) no longer lose their colour. I had to re-lay some round a
drain cover and felt sure they would "weather" to match the 20 year old
version. Not so. 4 years on they're still as bright as the day they were
laid :-(

Ornamental sandstone wearing out pump? john hamilton[_2_] Ponds (moderated) 3 10-08-2010 01:31 PM
Sandstone and preventing erosion bruce Ponds 9 15-09-2006 05:18 PM
Aerate Sandstone Lawn? JuEm531 Lawns 2 11-08-2006 04:01 PM
Block Paving cleaner stefos United Kingdom 6 22-05-2004 12:45 PM
Sandstone rubble for raised native beds. Nick Cook Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:34 AM