Old 24-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered User

Default Help with plant identification please.

Hi, I've got a houseplant that was left in my house from previous owners. I have no idea what it is just wondered if anyone could help? Thanks

Sorry about the quality, they were taken on my phone.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...DSC00044-1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...y/DSC00046.jpg
Old 24-03-2008, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonbeam" wrote in message

Hi, I've got a houseplant that was left in my house from previous
owners. I have no idea what it is just wondered if anyone could help?
Thanks

Sorry about the quality, they were taken on my phone.

[image:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...SC00044-1.jpg]

[image: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../DSC00046.jpg]

I can't identify it but it doesn't look to be worth saving.

Chuck it!

Mary

Old 25-03-2008, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/3/08 22:27, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Moonbeam" wrote in message

Hi, I've got a houseplant that was left in my house from previous
owners. I have no idea what it is just wondered if anyone could help?
Thanks

Sorry about the quality, they were taken on my phone.

[image:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...SC00044-1.jpg]

[image: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../DSC00046.jpg]

I can't identify it but it doesn't look to be worth saving.

Chuck it!

Mary

Why? I disagree entirely.
I cannot think of the name but the word Crassula springs to mind - probably
wrongly, I'm just not sure. It could be worth trying this: fill a glass
with water and cover the top with clingfilm. Pierce a slit in the top and
cut a leaf from the plant. Poke it through the slit in the clingfilm and
wait and wait......and wait. It *might* produce some roots, in which case
you'll have a new plant. Don't water the one you've got very much - those
leaves look as if they're made to retain water and won't appreciate wet
conditions. You could also try chopping off one of the longer growths and
potting it up in some gritty potting compost, again leaving it well drained
and frost-free but on a sunny window sill.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-03-2008, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 24/3/08 22:27, in article
,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Moonbeam" wrote in message

[...]

It looks a bit Kalanchoe-ish to me. And yes, I would try potting up some of
the stem growth as Sacha suggests. Also you may get a bit of stem to root in
water.

Steve

Old 25-03-2008, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

shazzbat writes

It looks a bit Kalanchoe-ish to me. And yes, I would try potting up some of
the stem growth as Sacha suggests. Also you may get a bit of stem to root in
water.

Yes, agree with Kalanchoe. Stem should root, but I'd do it by leaving it
on top of moistish compost - since it's a plant of arid conditions, it's
more likely to root that way than in water.

It's growth habit will be to elongate its stems, dropping its lower
leaves, so if you do get a cutting to take, it will eventually become
leggy again.

You don't have to take cuttings, you can just let it carry on growing.
--
Kay

Old 25-03-2008, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/3/08 23:50, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 24/3/08 22:27, in article
,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Moonbeam" wrote in message

[...]

Kalanchoe was tugging at my mind - well done! it that's what it is, I hope
someone will tell us which.

Old 25-03-2008, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonbeam" wrote ...

Hi, I've got a houseplant that was left in my house from previous
owners. I have no idea what it is just wondered if anyone could help?
Thanks

Sorry about the quality, they were taken on my phone.

[image:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...SC00044-1.jpg]

[image: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../DSC00046.jpg]

I've just been looking at something like that in the new Glasshouse at RHS
Wisley, Kalanchoe African Queen "African Sunlight".
Found it at ...
http://filer.group-unique.dk/files/q...letter_eng.pdf

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Moonbeam" wrote ...

Hi, I've got a houseplant that was left in my house from previous
owners. I have no idea what it is just wondered if anyone could help?
Thanks

Sorry about the quality, they were taken on my phone.

[image:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...SC00044-1.jpg]

[image: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../DSC00046.jpg]

I've just been looking at something like that in the new Glasshouse at RHS
Wisley, Kalanchoe African Queen "African Sunlight".
Found it at ...
http://filer.group-unique.dk/files/q...letter_eng.pdf

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK
Thanks for all your help
It is defiantly a type of Kalanchoe, as to which one, I'm still unsure.

MB
Old 25-03-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonbeam says...

"Moonbeam" wrote ...-

http://tinyurl.com/yrn6qs

[image: http://tinyurl.com/28sytb

-
http://tinyurl.com/2fufuj

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Thanks for all your help
It is defiantly a type of Kalanchoe, as to which one, I'm still
unsure.

MB

Yes, those Kalanchoes are quite stroppy aren't they :-)
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.