Old 24-03-2008, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID this flax plant, please?

This fine flax needs balancing by the purchase of another one. What
should I be looking for?

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...rrent=flax.jpg

It's growing exceptionally well in a south-facing position here in this
garden, in Shropshire. And reminds me of how the only plants we
observed flourishing on the balcony on the 25th floor of a high-rise in
London were similar.

Thanks.

Eddy.
Old 24-03-2008, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message

This fine flax needs balancing by the purchase of another one. What
should I be looking for?

A spade.

It is growing well, and It's easily big enough to split in two. Then you
know they'll both be the same, and you get to keep your money in your
pocket.

Steve

Old 25-03-2008, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
It is growing well, and It's easily big enough to split in two. Then you
know they'll both be the same, and you get to keep your money in your
pocket.

Thanks, Steve. I did think of this but immediately rejected the idea
because I thought that to halve the thing would be to obviously halve
its somewhat circular shape. Now you're making me wonder if it might be
possible, once halved, to reposition both halves so that the split looks
the least obvious. If both halves, once planted, look odd, I wonder if
this kind of flax will regenerate its normal shape in time.

Eddy.

Old 25-03-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Eddy
writes

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...n=view&current
=flax.jpg

It's growing exceptionally well in a south-facing position here in this
garden, in Shropshire. And reminds me of how the only plants we
observed flourishing on the balcony on the 25th floor of a high-rise in
London were similar.

It is either a rather windswept basic tenax or possibly a basic
cookianum. It appears to have been in place for a few years but,
although it is a bit difficult to judge the height I would guess around
1 metre which would probably rule out the basic tenax.

--
Robert
Old 26-03-2008, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

robert wrote:
It is either a rather windswept basic tenax or possibly a basic
cookianum. It appears to have been in place for a few years but,
although it is a bit difficult to judge the height I would guess around
1 metre which would probably rule out the basic tenax.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/gardenflora/pcookianum.htm

Thanks, Robert. The Cookianum is as close as damn it. It'll do, and I
see they are available here in the UK - if we decide not to slice the
flax we have in half .

Eddy.

Old 18-04-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
This fine flax needs balancing by the purchase of another one. What
should I be looking for?

A spade.

It is growing well, and It's easily big enough to split in two. Then you
know they'll both be the same, and you get to keep your money in your
pocket.

Steve, thanks for the above thought. Said flax took some digging out of
the ground - it clung for dear life to the slatey rock of which all
"soil" in these parts of the Welsh border are made. But once extracted
it lent itself to being sliced into three parts. So there are now three
fine flaxes decorating the main bed. The frosts of the last week have
been unexpected, and harsh, but hopefully these flaxes are hardy enough
to survive.

Eddy.