Old 26-03-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT calling any French residents

On Mar 26, 12:29 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 26/3/08 11:51, in article ,

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
In article da993a0a-a8e8-4364-a8b4-
,
says...
On Mar 25, 10:45 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/3/08 22:17, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Mar 25, 8:32 pm, Emery Davis wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
and I would like a little information.
The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
Does this rule applied in France?

No public buses around here!

But the school bus trips certainly don't follow this rule. AFAIK the
only rule is
"Tous les deux heures la pause d'impose." Drivers are required to take
a 15 minute
break for every 2 hours of driving. Not a bad idea IMHO!

-E

Hi Emery, how are you? It's a mild night in the Auvergne, tomorrow I
will sow my Wisteria seeds, I'm wondering whether I should soak them
first as they are quite large and very hard!!!!

Judith

Have to ask why you're sowing seeds, Judith? AIUI, Wisteria can take around
18 years to flower if grown this way and can be extremely variable as to
quality. They can take about 8 years to flower if grown from cuttings. The
grafted ones are much more reliable because you can and should, see them in
flower before buying and of course, they're ready to flower and grow
immediately.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Gulp!!! Guess who will be going to visit the nearest nursery soon.
Many thanks Sacha.

Although I agree with Sach on seedlings I find cuttings flower from day
one, indeed I have just been removing flowers from this years rooted
cuttings. If you dont you end up with flowers 3 x the size of the plant
dragging on the ground (and its a waste of energy) but nearly all
wisteria is grafted and this way you do get a much bigger plant as the
cuttings take longer to get going, but size for size I have never seen a
difference.

You and your Green Thumb! ;-) Most people seem to complain their wisteria
hasn't flowered - ever. It turns out to be a non-grafted one.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Charlie's green thumb is legendary!!!! Mine is improving bit by bit
each year but I am not in the class or anywhere near it of the
majority of posters here.

Judith
Old 26-03-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/3/08 15:25, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Mar 26, 11:49 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/3/08 10:54, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Mar 26, 9:17 am, Sacha wrote:
On 25/3/08 21:55, in article , "Emery

Davis" wrote:

snip

I'm with Sacha on the Wisteria seeds. Plus, not a very expensive plant
grafted.
I have 3 that I hack at a few times a year. I really like the flowers,
but lots of
time spent on the ladder. I actually fell off while cutting one back a
few years ago,
but luckily landed well and suffered nothing worse than some temporary
spine
compression. Now I'm a little more careful!

cheers,

-E

You could try growing one as a standard, Emery. They look really pretty
swooping down onto the lawn as they mature. Some people train them over a
stake with three or four 'arms' to it, others just stake them and leave
them
to do their own thing.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

I like the standard idea Sacha and it's one I shall copy.

Judith

It's really effective and unusual, so it's a bit of an eye catcher. They
all look pretty grown this way but because they're drooping towards the
ground, don't grow a white one anywhere the mud will splash up onto it!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Any tips Sacha on how high/size of suppost etc?

Judith

Up to the individual but I should think ours is about 5'.

Old 26-03-2008, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Well, of course, the higher the pole, the longer it will take for the
| Wisteria to do its 'sweeping to the ground' thing! And of course, wind
| knocking it over if it's too high has to be taken in account. Personally,
| I'd say 5'. Much lower than that and you might as well let it just scramble
| through a bed on its own.

I have seen pictures of ones about 3' high on a patio, and they looked
fine. But they were very carefully pruned to flower from near the top.
But I am not disagreeing that 5' is a very good height for one!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-03-2008, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 26/3/08 13:27, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
snip

That is indeed a problem, people chasing a bargin! Much the same with
Clematis armandii, named ones are noticably dearer than ordinary clematis
so when people see a cheap one they think its abargin but no its a
seedling, many of which are indiffent flowerers. I may have green thumbs
but that clematis I can not do and we have a lovely one in the garden.

Ray is delighted that he's had some real success with C. rehederiana this
year. He forgot to do any last year and it seems to be hard to track down
in any numbers. Do you find this tricky to propagate Charlie, because it
seems to have a reputation for it? I really love it, especially as it's so
different and flowers late with a sweet and gentle scent.

Its easy enough from seed but only if you remember to collect the ripe
seed in the autumn! both the seed and cuttings are prone to botrytis
during winter so I try and keep mine on the dry side of the greenhouse
even so I lose about 50% and of course its not 100% hardy so can be laid
low by a sharp frost. All in all I could multiply the number I produce by
100 and still not have enough
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 26-03-2008, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 26/3/08 13:48, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Mar 26, 10:38*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| In article ,
| says...
| Broadback says...
| Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post
here
| and I would like a little information.
| The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses
|
| over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
| reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
| that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30
|
| shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a
result a
| number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
| Does this rule applied in France?
|
| First I've heard about it. Sounds more like a posting for
| 1st of April to me :-)
|
| No its true and causing problems in Cornwall too, people are having to
| buy three separate tickets for one jurney and get off the bus, they then
| get straight back on with the same driver and continue - daft

But damn-all to do with the EU ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well perhaps not, though I do think they could be a lot clearer what they
intend measures to do and be much clearer about what is not meant or
intended. But in this case I smell a bus company rat, they seem to have
used a minor regulation to get three fares instead on one out of people!

Most of all, they have found a way around having to incur the expense
of providing the legally required safety measures (i.e. fitting the
tachograph and paying their drivers while on break)... These measures
were aimed at improving safety for the public using the bus services.
Finding a loophole to avoid having to improve safety for their
customers reflects far worse on the bus companies (British or
otherwise) than it does on the law makers, be they the Brussels
originators, or the national translators of the EU law into national
legal measures.

Cat(h)

An extract from today's Western Morning News:
"Bus passengers on some rural routes are being forced off their vehicles
part way through their journey because of EU rules.

Legislation forbids bus drivers from travelling for more than 30 miles in
one go.

Passengers on some routes must get on and off their bus, sometimes twice, to
prevent bus operators from prosecution.

Operators in Cornwall have condemned the new rule brought in last April as
"idiotic" and have called for Whitehall to step in.

Western Greyhound, based in Newquay, has been forced to split its Newquay to
Plymouth service into three sections.

Although one driver is used throughout the trip, passengers have to buy
three tickets and break their journey twice."

Has anyone an explanation as to how the bus company justifies going from
a restriction on drivers travelling more than 30 miles without a break
to requiring passengers to disembark and to purchase multiple tickets?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-03-2008, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Has anyone an explanation as to how the bus company justifies going from
| a restriction on drivers travelling more than 30 miles without a break
| to requiring passengers to disembark and to purchase multiple tickets?

It's almost certainly the installation of the tachygraph that they
don't want to do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-03-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/3/08 18:12, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 26/3/08 13:27, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
[...]

Do people ask for it much with you? I've recommended it to several people
and find none of heard of it.
Yes, Ray grew ours from seed from the one on the front of our house and is
now going to try C. nepalensis at the appropriate time, too.

Old 26-03-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/3/08 19:03, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Has anyone an explanation as to how the bus company justifies going from
| a restriction on drivers travelling more than 30 miles without a break
| to requiring passengers to disembark and to purchase multiple tickets?

It's almost certainly the installation of the tachygraph that they
don't want to do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Also from the WMN:

"British law limits drivers to 60 hours a week at the wheel, but this is
superseded by the new EU regulations if a driver covers more than 50km at
any point in a single trip.

Those drivers are required to have a continuous 45 hour rest period -
effectively two days - within the same week.

This poses a problem for small rural firms, who do not have the staff to
cover the two-day break required, especially if they operate a Sunday
service.

Larger bus operators said they have worked around the new legislation and
that services have not been disrupted.

Operators First Devon and Cornwall operate a number of routes over 30 miles
and carry 17 million passengers around the two counties every year.

Company chiefs said they had decided it was more important to continue to
serve the customers on these routes with no disruptions.

A spokesman said: "The implementation of the 30-mile rule means there is the
need for additional drivers and the purchase of tachographs for the
vehicles. First has decided to absorb this cost, in the interest of our
customers and services. It is not necessary for customers to change, or get
on and off buses as we have altered the way in which these services are
operated (which has ultimately increased costs) in order to ensure they
continue to be operated legally." "

Old 26-03-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 4:37 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 26/3/08 16:28, in article , "Nick

Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 26/3/08 15:25, in article
| , "Judith
| in France" wrote:
|
| Any tips Sacha on how high/size of suppost etc?
|
| Up to the individual but I should think ours is about 5'.

Below about 3' would look a bit silly, unless it was also dwarfed
(as in bonsai). My guess is that a semi-dwarfed one of 2' would
look OK. Above about 6' is unwieldy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well, of course, the higher the pole, the longer it will take for the
Wisteria to do its 'sweeping to the ground' thing! And of course, wind
knocking it over if it's too high has to be taken in account. Personally,
I'd say 5'. Much lower than that and you might as well let it just scramble
through a bed on its own.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Thanks Sacha, I will go for 5 ft the same height as me.

Judith
Old 26-03-2008, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Has anyone an explanation as to how the bus company justifies going from
| a restriction on drivers travelling more than 30 miles without a break
| to requiring passengers to disembark and to purchase multiple tickets?

It's almost certainly the installation of the tachygraph that they
don't want to do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Also from the WMN:

"British law limits drivers to 60 hours a week at the wheel, but this is
superseded by the new EU regulations if a driver covers more than 50km at
any point in a single trip.

Those drivers are required to have a continuous 45 hour rest period -
effectively two days - within the same week.

This poses a problem for small rural firms, who do not have the staff to
cover the two-day break required, especially if they operate a Sunday
service.

Larger bus operators said they have worked around the new legislation and
that services have not been disrupted.

Operators First Devon and Cornwall operate a number of routes over 30 miles
and carry 17 million passengers around the two counties every year.

Company chiefs said they had decided it was more important to continue to
serve the customers on these routes with no disruptions.

A spokesman said: "The implementation of the 30-mile rule means there is the
need for additional drivers and the purchase of tachographs for the
vehicles. First has decided to absorb this cost, in the interest of our
customers and services. It is not necessary for customers to change, or get
on and off buses as we have altered the way in which these services are
operated (which has ultimately increased costs) in order to ensure they
continue to be operated legally." "

Don't they mean safely?

I can't second guess them, Martin. While I think a lot of this EU stuff is
irritatingly silly, I think some is an excuse to be sloppy or lazy, too. I
am NOT citing this as an example BTW. That said, I refuse to believe that
driving e.g. 60 miles is in any way dangerous for a bus driver operating
under sensible circumstances. I just wish we allowed for a degree of common
sense to be in operation, too!

Old 27-03-2008, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 26/3/08 18:12, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 26/3/08 13:27, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:
[...]

Yes its always asked for we never have to "sell" it!
Old 27-03-2008, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/3/08 08:35, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]