Old 26-03-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sungold Damping Off Update - F1 query

From the 23 seeds sown I have finished up with 15 healthy plants
(potted on to 3" post).

2 of the seeds didn't germinate : 4 had damping off.

This leaves two which germinated OK after the others but are just not
growing at all.

It is almost if they were not true F1s - the runts of the crop -
anyone ever had this?

As I said earlier I was very careful clean/disinfectanted trays and
posts - brand new potting compost - used Cheshunt Compound.

The two packets of seeds (average contents 10) cost 6 quid (Thomson
and Morgan - expensive) so not impressed with the success rate.

I will try Unwin's next year - any one have any experience comments on
their Sungold?
Old 26-03-2008, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 1:50*pm, judith wrote:
From the 23 seeds sown I have finished up with 15 healthy plants
(potted on to 3" post).

2 of the seeds didn't germinate : 4 had damping off.

This leaves two which germinated OK after the others but are just not
growing at all.

It is almost if they were not true F1s - the runts of the crop -
anyone ever had this?

As I said earlier I was very careful clean/disinfectanted *trays and
posts - brand new potting compost - used Cheshunt Compound.

The two packets of seeds (average contents 10) cost 6 quid (Thomson
and Morgan - expensive) so not impressed with the success rate.

I will try Unwin's next year - any one have any experience comments on
their Sungold?

Just bought a packet (Uniwins) for 4.50 euro approx (I cannot remember
exact price) in Dublin with 30 seeds stated content; looks like 40.
2 years ago, I bought a T+M packet with average content stated to be
10 seeds; there were 15 and I got 15 plants so I was well pleased but
it ended up as an overcrowded grrenhouse. I only had room for about
8.

Des
Old 27-03-2008, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith wrote:
From the 23 seeds sown I have finished up with 15 healthy plants
(potted on to 3" post).

2 of the seeds didn't germinate : 4 had damping off.

This leaves two which germinated OK after the others but are just not
growing at all.

It is almost if they were not true F1s - the runts of the crop -
anyone ever had this?

As I said earlier I was very careful clean/disinfectanted trays and
posts - brand new potting compost - used Cheshunt Compound.

The two packets of seeds (average contents 10) cost 6 quid (Thomson
and Morgan - expensive) so not impressed with the success rate.

I will try Unwin's next year - any one have any experience comments on
their Sungold?

I've never bought seeds from T&M, or other well known (expensive) suppliers.
B & Q, or Wilkinsons for me. Always had a good success rate
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-03-2008, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:31:49 -0000, "Pete C"
wrote:

judith wrote:
From the 23 seeds sown I have finished up with 15 healthy plants
(potted on to 3" post).

2 of the seeds didn't germinate : 4 had damping off.

This leaves two which germinated OK after the others but are just not
growing at all.

It is almost if they were not true F1s - the runts of the crop -
anyone ever had this?

As I said earlier I was very careful clean/disinfectanted trays and
posts - brand new potting compost - used Cheshunt Compound.

The two packets of seeds (average contents 10) cost 6 quid (Thomson
and Morgan - expensive) so not impressed with the success rate.

I will try Unwin's next year - any one have any experience comments on
their Sungold?

I've never bought seeds from T&M, or other well known (expensive) suppliers.
B & Q, or Wilkinsons for me. Always had a good success rate

Do they sell Sungold?
Old 27-03-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:31:49 -0000, "Pete C"
wrote:

judith wrote:
From the 23 seeds sown I have finished up with 15 healthy plants
(potted on to 3" post).

2 of the seeds didn't germinate : 4 had damping off.

This leaves two which germinated OK after the others but are just
not growing at all.

It is almost if they were not true F1s - the runts of the crop -
anyone ever had this?

As I said earlier I was very careful clean/disinfectanted trays and
posts - brand new potting compost - used Cheshunt Compound.

The two packets of seeds (average contents 10) cost 6 quid (Thomson
and Morgan - expensive) so not impressed with the success rate.

I will try Unwin's next year - any one have any experience comments
on their Sungold?

I've never bought seeds from T&M, or other well known (expensive)
suppliers. B & Q, or Wilkinsons for me. Always had a good success
rate

Do they sell Sungold?

Eh..dunno, but I only buy F1
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 28-03-2008, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Des Higgins contains these words:

On Mar 26, 1:50*pm, judith wrote:
From the 23 seeds sown I have finished up with 15 healthy plants
[...]

Kings Seeds have Sungold at £1.99 for 12 seeds, which is probably a
convenient number and price for many people.

Janet

damping off debacle!! 0tterbot Australia 6 22-11-2007 10:01 PM
Sungold Tomatos - Damping Off? scrambled egg United Kingdom 0 20-04-2006 07:14 PM
damping off miklol United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:56 PM
Germination medium to prevent damping off Neil Jones United Kingdom 13 27-02-2003 10:29 AM