Old 27-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default magnolia soulangeana brown petals

Hello, I have a two year-old magnolia soulangeana which has produced five flowers this year. Sadly, the petals have become brown and dull as they opened out. I have tried googling to find out the problem but nothing has come up, except that magnolias tend to be disease free! In all other respects the young tree seems healthy. I hope someone can help.

jay jay
france
__________________
jay jay france
Old 27-03-2008, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

At a guess, rain, wind and cold, if you've been getting all those.
Magnolias don't like cold wind on the developing buds. Two years ago
we lost all the buds on our M. campbellii to frost.

What a shame! It's not exactly the magnolia most keen to get into flowering
mode, either. How many years have you had it?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 27-03-2008, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/3/08 10:08, in article ,
"Jeff Layman" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

At a guess, rain, wind and cold, if you've been getting all those.
Magnolias don't like cold wind on the developing buds. Two years ago
we lost all the buds on our M. campbellii to frost.

What a shame! It's not exactly the magnolia most keen to get into flowering
mode, either. How many years have you had it?

This M. Campbellii was quite keen to get going, in fact. Ray planted it
about 16 years ago (he thinks) and this is its third or fourth year of
flowering, including the one when it lost all the buds. He planted it in
the churchyard next to us as his own 'memorial' and did wonder if he'd ever
see it flower himself. Well, he has and a real picture it is, too.
But he heard a sorry story of an old man who had planted one and waited
years and years for it to flower. When it did finally, it was the wrong
colour. Dolefully, the old man went to the nursery he'd bought it from all
those years before and chastised them for it. When they offered him another
he said, very sadly, "what's the point - I'm 84"!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay jay View Post
Hello, I have a two year-old magnolia soulangeana which has produced five flowers this year. Sadly, the petals have become brown and dull as they opened out. I have tried googling to find out the problem but nothing has come up, except that magnolias tend to be disease free! In all other respects the young tree seems healthy. I hope someone can help.

jay jay
france
It's not disease, it's just weather damage, always a risk with magnolia flowers, especially if they are early flowering. Frost is the common cause, but battering from rain and wind can also cause it. If you think the weather you have been experiencing is untypical for the time of year, then just pray for better weather in future years. If you think the weather is not untypical, then perhaps plant a later flowering one instead before its too late, or if you have put it in an exposed location, perhaps you can find a more sheltered location for it (though it won't appreciate being dug up and moved, better buy another). Putting my M. stellata in my east facing front garden was likewise a mistake... I believe that M. x soulangeana comes in a number of varieties which flower at different times, and with different shades of flower.
Old 27-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
It's not disease, it's just weather damage, always a risk with magnolia flowers, especially if they are early flowering. Frost is the common cause, but battering from rain and wind can also cause it. .
Hello Echinosum, many thanks for your reply. I started out with such hopes for this Magnolia but I guess it could well be doomed - yes we've had frost, heavy rain and yes its normal! But other Magnolias round here flower at the same time and look healthy. I don't think mine is particularly exposed and it's definitely not in a frost pocket. It IS east facing but that means early morning sun. I wonder if it would be worth covering it with fleece as the flower buds open? At least whilst it is young enough to reach the top...

jay jay
__________________
jay jay france
Old 27-03-2008, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jay jay" wrote echinosum;780960 Wrote:
It's not disease, it's just weather damage, always a risk with magnolia
flowers, especially if they are early flowering. Frost is the common
cause, but battering from rain and wind can also cause it. .

Hello Echinosum, many thanks for your reply. I started out with such
hopes for this Magnolia but I guess it could well be doomed - yes we've
had frost, heavy rain and yes its normal! But other Magnolias round
here flower at the same time and look healthy. I don't think mine is
particularly exposed and it's definitely not in a frost pocket. It IS
east facing but that means early morning sun. I wonder if it would be
worth covering it with fleece as the flower buds open? At least whilst
it is young enough to reach the top...

You've just hit the nail on the head, early morning sun on frosted
buds...fatal. They effectively freeze dry.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden