Old 28-03-2008, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Linking chicken wire

Hi,
I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the sides
and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
substantial. What's the best way to link the chicken wire lengths to
each other? Strips of wood between each length with the chicken wire
stapled to them is probably the best option but I wonder if there is
some sort of simple wire linking device available - for instance small
keyrings could be used to attach 2 lengths to each other so is there
something like that I could get?
Thanks
Old 28-03-2008, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
TC writes:

| I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the sides
| and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| substantial.

That's some chickens you have!

| What's the best way to link the chicken wire lengths to
| each other? Strips of wood between each length with the chicken wire
| stapled to them is probably the best option but I wonder if there is
| some sort of simple wire linking device available - for instance small
| keyrings could be used to attach 2 lengths to each other so is there
| something like that I could get?

Or just buy some thin galvanised wire and sew the chicken wire
together. That is the cheapest solution, and easier to do than it
sounds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-03-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article
,
TC writes:

| I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the sides
| and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| substantial.

That's some chickens you have!

You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
substantial enough.

| What's the best way to link the chicken wire lengths to
| each other? Strips of wood between each length with the chicken wire
| stapled to them is probably the best option but I wonder if there is
| some sort of simple wire linking device available - for instance small
| keyrings could be used to attach 2 lengths to each other so is there
| something like that I could get?

Or just buy some thin galvanised wire and sew the chicken wire
together. That is the cheapest solution, and easier to do than it
sounds.

We cut the mesh and use the protruding ends to link to the rest. We've done
that for years, simple and doesn't need any more wire and only a pair of
pliers.

Mary
who has chickens

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-03-2008, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:35:29 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
[10 quoted lines suppressed]

You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
substantial enough.
[11 quoted lines suppressed]

We cut the mesh and use the protruding ends to link to the rest. We've
done
that for years, simple and doesn't need any more wire and only a pair of
pliers.

Mary
who has chickens
[4 quoted lines suppressed]

Hi Mary, I am getting new hens next month - is there a poultry newsgroup
you can recommend ?

sci.agriculture.poultry has a good mixture of new keepers and professional
ones from all round the world. There's the usual amount of argument too :-)

Mary

Old 29-03-2008, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:09:26 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"AriesVal" wrote in message
[21 quoted lines suppressed]

sci.agriculture.poultry has a good mixture of new keepers and
professional
ones from all round the world. There's the usual amount of argument too
:-)

Mary

Thanks

And a lot of spam. Killfille Old Codger.

Mary

Old 29-03-2008, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

TC writes:

| I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the sides
| and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| substantial.

That's some chickens you have!

You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
substantial enough.

| What's the best way to link the chicken wire lengths to
| each other? Strips of wood between each length with the chicken wire
| stapled to them is probably the best option but I wonder if there is
| some sort of simple wire linking device available - for instance small
| keyrings could be used to attach 2 lengths to each other so is there
| something like that I could get?

Or just buy some thin galvanised wire and sew the chicken wire
together. That is the cheapest solution, and easier to do than it
sounds.

We cut the mesh and use the protruding ends to link to the rest. We've done
that for years, simple and doesn't need any more wire and only a pair of
pliers.

Mary
who has chickens

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and foxes
so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
rather than things in.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 29-03-2008, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

TC writes:

| I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the
sides
| and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| substantial.

That's some chickens you have!

You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
substantial enough.

| What's the best way to link the chicken wire lengths to
| each other? Strips of wood between each length with the chicken
wire
| stapled to them is probably the best option but I wonder if there is
| some sort of simple wire linking device available - for instance
small
| keyrings could be used to attach 2 lengths to each other so is there
| something like that I could get?

Or just buy some thin galvanised wire and sew the chicken wire
together. That is the cheapest solution, and easier to do than it
sounds.

We cut the mesh and use the protruding ends to link to the rest. We've
done
that for years, simple and doesn't need any more wire and only a pair of
pliers.

Mary
who has chickens

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and foxes
so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
rather than things in.

I can understand your worry but we lost a lot of our bantams before we
fenced the garden effectively. The chicken mesh was more than adequate for
their run, they were all killed while they were in the garden.

Mary

Old 29-03-2008, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TC writes:

| I am building a chicken pen and intend to use weld mesh for the
sides
| and chicken wire for the top as I don't think I need that to be so
| substantial.

That's some chickens you have!

You certainly don't need weldmesh for any chickens. 1" chicken wire is
substantial enough.

| *What's the best way to link the chicken wire lengths to
| each other? *Strips of wood between each length with the chicken
wire
| stapled to them is probably the best option but I wonder if there is
| some sort of simple wire linking device available - for instance
small
| keyrings could be used to attach 2 lengths to each other so is there
| something like that I could get?

Or just buy some thin galvanised wire and sew the chicken wire
together. *That is the cheapest solution, and easier to do than it
sounds.

We cut the mesh and use the protruding ends to link to the rest. We've
done
that for years, simple and doesn't need any more wire and only a pair of
pliers.

Mary
who has chickens

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and foxes
so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
rather than things in.

I can understand your worry but we lost a lot of our bantams before we
fenced the garden effectively. The chicken mesh was more than adequate for
their run, they were all killed while they were in the garden.

Mary- Hide quoted text -

I've been told that some animals can bite through chicken wire and
also that if the mesh is too big then chickens can stick their heads
through it to look at a fox who then bites it off! Don't know how
likely this all is. Have found some good resources:

http://www.downthelane.net/
http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/index.php

Toby
Old 29-03-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TC" wrote in message

Mary and Nick, we no longer have chickens because of local dogs and
foxes
so a substantial run is not such a silly idea if only to keep things out
rather than things in.

I can understand your worry but we lost a lot of our bantams before we
fenced the garden effectively. The chicken mesh was more than adequate for
their run, they were all killed while they were in the garden.

Mary- Hide quoted text -

I've been told that some animals can bite through chicken wire and
also that if the mesh is too big then chickens can stick their heads
through it to look at a fox who then bites it off! Don't know how
likely this all is.

The idea of a chicken looking through mesh at a fox is, I'd say, so unlikely
as to be laughable. If they see a fox or unfamiliar dog from a long way
they'll try to get away.

I doubt that a fox could bite through chicken wire too, they never have
here.

Mary

Old 29-03-2008, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Mar, 12:18, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"TC" wrote in message

[...]

Well I'm told it happens! Maybe it happens in a small %age of cases
and you're not one of those. I get a fox every night sniffing about
so it'll have plenty of opportunity to plan a form of attack....
TC
Old 29-03-2008, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
TC writes:
| On 29 Mar, 12:18, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
| "TC" wrote in message
|
| The idea of a chicken looking through mesh at a fox is, I'd say,
| so unlikely as to be laughable. If they see a fox or unfamiliar dog
| from a long way they'll try to get away.
|
| I doubt that a fox could bite through chicken wire too, they never have
| here.
|
| Well I'm told it happens! Maybe it happens in a small %age of cases
| and you're not one of those. I get a fox every night sniffing about
| so it'll have plenty of opportunity to plan a form of attack....

And I am told that people have had rides in flying saucers, have
talked to Elvis and so on :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-03-2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Mar, 13:01, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,TC writes:

| On 29 Mar, 12:18, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
| "TC" wrote in message
|
| The idea of a chicken looking through mesh at a fox is, I'd say,
| so unlikely as to be laughable. If they see a fox or unfamiliar dog
| from a long way they'll try to get away.
|
| I doubt that a fox could bite through chicken wire too, they never have
| here.
|
| Well I'm told it happens! *Maybe it happens in a small %age of cases
| and you're not one of those. *I get a fox every night sniffing about
| so it'll have plenty of opportunity to plan a form of attack....

And I am told that people have had rides in flying saucers, have
talked to Elvis and so on :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Not sure if its more foolish to believe everything or to believe
nothing...but I suppose intelligence is shown in the deciding.

Argue here if you like:
http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk...ic.php?t=13478

Grass growing though chicken wire covering bulbs, best way to dealwith it? Hettie® Gardening 9 22-11-2007 05:17 AM
Chicken Wire Help Kathy Edible Gardening 9 19-08-2003 09:52 PM
chicken wire Pete Gardening 6 17-06-2003 08:43 PM
[IBC] Using wire to thicken base of trunk - HELP! John NJ Bonsai 4 31-03-2003 01:32 AM
AD: Handy tool for tightening/maintaining Grape vine trellis wires, fences, etc - Jake's Wire Tight C&C Fencing Supply Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2003 02:43 AM