GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When to scarify? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172331-when-scarify.html)

Muddymike 29-03-2008 10:58 AM

When to scarify?

My front lawn is more moss than grass at present so I plan to hire a 4
stroke scarifier from the local machinery hire place. Question is. When is
the best time? Is it too early to do it now?

Mike

Bob Hobden 29-03-2008 12:09 PM

When to scarify?

"Muddymike" wrote
My front lawn is more moss than grass at present so I plan to hire a 4
stroke scarifier from the local machinery hire place. Question is. When is
the best time? Is it too early to do it now?

The chap on the allotment next to ours earns his living out of lawns and he
said last week "it's that scarifying time of year". Just done ours, but the
old fashioned way. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

graham 29-03-2008 02:24 PM

When to scarify?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote
My front lawn is more moss than grass at present so I plan to hire a 4
stroke scarifier from the local machinery hire place. Question is. When
is the best time? Is it too early to do it now?

The chap on the allotment next to ours earns his living out of lawns and
he said last week "it's that scarifying time of year". Just done ours, but
the old fashioned way. :-)

We call it de-thatching here, in Calgary, and do it every year. With our
winters, the lawn dies off and is completely brown until April (I still have
a bit of snow cover and flurries are expected this w/e). We wait until the
lawn starts to thaw out and green up so it'll probably be late April or
early May before mine gets done.
Graham

liketogarden 10-04-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddymike (Post 781316)
My front lawn is more moss than grass at present so I plan to hire a 4
stroke scarifier from the local machinery hire place. Question is. When is
the best time? Is it too early to do it now?

Mike

I did ours in late autumn. If you´ve got moss, it´s a good idea it put holes in the lawn with a fork or hollow-tine aerator and brush sharp sand into them..it helps the drainage and should reduce the moss.

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_151_] 11-04-2008 08:31 AM

Sweet peas

"liketogarden" wrote in message

Has anyone put their sweet peas out yet? Hardening mine off this week,
probably plant them at weekend.

--
liketogarden

Yes I put mine out a month ago with a wind break alongside and some self
seeded ones are about 3' high and looking well. I always sow them outside in
pots; they are very hardy for something with such a delicate flower.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

liketogarden 11-04-2008 07:38 PM

Yes, I put some out in march one year and they seemed to survive the colder weather ok. They always say don´t put them out until april, but I think they´re a bit hardier than that. But I suppose they need the warm weather to really get going.