Old 29-03-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bolting Rhubarb

Rhubard bolting in March? Oh dear. I know about stress, but what stress?
It has plenty of water, light, manure and compost. The only other
explanation I can find is that it is the wrong type. Not much help. Ideas
welcomed.

Old 29-03-2008, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:47:58 -0000, "Plum"
wrote:

Rhubard bolting in March? Oh dear. I know about stress, but what stress?
It has plenty of water, light, manure and compost. The only other
explanation I can find is that it is the wrong type. Not much help. Ideas
welcomed.

Cut the flowering bits off?
Don't let it waste its energy.

The weather's been a bit bizarre here with hot and sunny and then snow
and windy.

Bolting or seed stalk formation is influenced by stress, age, and
variety. The green stalked varieties are most susceptible, as are
older plants. Infertile soil, heat, cold, daylength or drought may
cause plants to bolt. The flower stalks should be cut out while they
are still small.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 29-03-2008, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Plum" contains these words:

Rhubard bolting in March? Oh dear. I know about stress, but what
stress?
It has plenty of water, light, manure and compost. The only other
explanation I can find is that it is the wrong type. Not much help.
Ideas welcomed.

When did you last move your rhubarb?

I used to move ours every 4 - 5 years,
and never had 'bolting' problems.

At what time of year did you move it, Anne?

Mary

Old 29-03-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:
The message from "Plum" contains these words:

Rhubard bolting in March? Oh dear. I know about stress, but what
stress?
It has plenty of water, light, manure and compost. The only other
explanation I can find is that it is the wrong type. Not much help.
Ideas welcomed.

When did you last move your rhubarb?

I used to move ours every 4 - 5 years,
and never had 'bolting' problems.

At what time of year did you move it, Anne?

I used to dig it up at the back-end of the year, leave it
for the frost to work its magic on the root, and replant
in the Spring. We always had two or three clumps on the go,
and I did this on a rotation system.

--
AnneJ

Oh bugger! Too late this year then :-(