GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   bamboo still rampant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172338-bamboo-still-rampant.html)

johngood_____[_3_] 29-03-2008 04:35 PM

bamboo still rampant

Last year i tried to kill off a bamboo that has gone rampant all over the
garden , including neighbours gardens.

Now that new shoots are springing up this year, should I:

1 chop down as soon as they pop up

2 wait until they are higher with leaves and then cut down

3 wait until they have a couple of leaves and then spray with
glycophosphate?

Thanks for any advice.

PK[_2_] 29-03-2008 05:40 PM

bamboo still rampant

"johngood_____" wrote in message
ut down

3 wait until they have a couple of leaves and then spray with
glycophosphate?

from my direct experience, the only thing that works!

chopping them down leaves so much stored energy in the roots you are
destined to lose the war1

pk

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 30-03-2008 09:06 AM

bamboo still rampant

In article ,
says...
Last year i tried to kill off a bamboo that has gone rampant all over the
garden , including neighbours gardens.

Now that new shoots are springing up this year, should I:

1 chop down as soon as they pop up

2 wait until they are higher with leaves and then cut down

3 wait until they have a couple of leaves and then spray with
glycophosphate?

Thanks for any advice.

Any in the lawn or coming up in plants just keep cutting off below ground
use a sharp spade, any in clear ground glysophate (round up - not sure on
the spelling of its proper name!) but just keep at it and gradually the
plant will weaken, miss a bit and back it will come. I would be inclined
to dig up any in clear ground the roots are generally not that deep, but
I have light soil so they are easily tamed I believe they can be a bit of
a menace on clay soils.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk