Old 30-03-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pretty Lawn

http://www.chanticleergarden.org/sta...ie_christ.html

I used to love mowing the lawn round and round because I was aware of
8 floors of neighbours looking down on it. Making patterns in the lawn
was fun. This guy has done some pretty stuff
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 30-03-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/3/08 13:02, in article ,
"Mogga" wrote:

http://www.chanticleergarden.org/sta...ie_christ.html

I used to love mowing the lawn round and round because I was aware of
8 floors of neighbours looking down on it. Making patterns in the lawn
was fun. This guy has done some pretty stuff

Those are terrific and I've printed the article to give to the man who cuts
our grass. He does patterns, too, though he doesn't use a tractor mower on
our lawn. He did a huge heart when we told everyone we were getting
married. He sometimes does a big sunray, with the sun in one lower corner
of the lawn, he cut Papa into it for Father's Day last year and he did a
snail shell on one occasion but that took a long time!
I've seen another article, some time ago, about a man who makes patterns on
grass that has the dew on it. That really is a work of love because it's so
ephemeral.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-03-2008, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha says...
I've seen another article, some time ago, about a man who makes patterns on
grass that has the dew on it. That really is a work of love because it's so
ephemeral.

I wonder if anyone makes a permanent pattern in lawns by
using sewing different varieties of grass seed? Just a
subtle difference in the shade of green and you have a
lasting art work. I've never seen or heard of this
anywhere. I'm a bit surprised that (historically) rich
owners of old stately gardens missed the opportunity to
have their coat of arms etc emblazoned into the grass.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 30-03-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/3/08 15:31, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
I've seen another article, some time ago, about a man who makes patterns on
grass that has the dew on it. That really is a work of love because it's so
ephemeral.

I wonder if anyone makes a permanent pattern in lawns by
using sewing different varieties of grass seed? Just a
subtle difference in the shade of green and you have a
lasting art work. I've never seen or heard of this
anywhere. I'm a bit surprised that (historically) rich
owners of old stately gardens missed the opportunity to
have their coat of arms etc emblazoned into the grass.

Well, as everything was cut by hand with men bearing scythes and sickles and
donkeys wearing special shoes pulled the rollers, I don't think the armorial
pattern would have lasted long! Instead they put them on their gates and
pillars, and pediments and coaches and silver and cutlery and china and
furniture and writing paper. There must be something I've forgotten!
But this reminds me that when we stayed at a lovely hotel on Exmoor a couple
of weeks ago, someone had once planted the name 'Ashwick' in daffodils on a
bank beside the drive. It needs re-planting because the 'A' has disappeared
but it's a rather sweet idea.
--
Sacha

Old 30-03-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Well, as everything was cut by hand with men bearing scythes and sickles
and
donkeys wearing special shoes pulled the rollers, I don't think the
armorial
pattern would have lasted long! Instead they put them on their gates and
pillars, and pediments and coaches and silver and cutlery and china and
furniture and writing paper. There must be something I've forgotten!
But this reminds me that when we stayed at a lovely hotel on Exmoor a
couple
of weeks ago, someone had once planted the name 'Ashwick' in daffodils on
bank beside the drive. It needs re-planting because the 'A' has
disappeared
but it's a rather sweet idea.

Did you get to see Snowdrop Valley near Wheddon Cross?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden