Old 31-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Registered User

Angry Problem with Mirrorgarden.co.uk

Hi,

Has anyone else had a problem with Mirrorgarden.co.uk?
I ordered £60 worth of plants from these guys about 4 weeks ago on the advice of my father in law who has used them for a couple of years.
I received notice that half of the order would be shipped within 28 days and the other half (plug plants for hanging baskets) would be sent in May.
This seemed fine.
I received the first part of the order on Tuesday 25th March, just after the bank holiday weekend.
When I further inspected the package, I noticed that it was shipped on 18th March.
Upon opening the box (which was labelled - live plants-URGENT), I noticed that the plants were in terrible condition. One was snapped, the tubers on the dahlia bulbs were broken away from the crown and the rest of the orders leaves were shrivelled and dying.
I emailed the company immediately and outlined the problems expecting an email back with some kind of apology and solution.
I received nothing over email and got a letter through on Saturday's post. The letter didn't accept any blame for this (although I think it would take an idiot to send out live plants on the longest bank holiday weekend so they sit in a courier depot for days). They just advised to nurse the plants and once the weather picks up to plant them, "once planted and established they should revive very quickly". They state that if they should fail to survive let them know.
I do not see why I should have to nurse very sick plants because of their mistake, and if they do die after being planted, then I have the hassle of finding similar plants at the same stage of growth as the rest of the garden.
I will obvioulsy be phoning this company tomorrow and cancelling the rest of the order (the hanging basket order). I will then be placing an order with Van Meuwen. Has anyone had any experience with this company?

Rant over ;-)
Has anyone any comments on my situation?
Old 31-03-2008, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Problem with Mirrorgarden.co.uk

In article ,
says...

[...]

RE VM, Yes, plants (clematis) arrived undersized and 5 months later
(having been grown to order?) The Plants are doing well now and I did
realize from the price they were going to be small and I do look after
plants for a living so nursing them was not a big deal but I was
surprised that they Accepted my money for plants that did not exist then
took the cuttings - now why didn't I think of that!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

I've never heard of Mirror Plants but only today I decided never to buy
anything by mail order again. I've never been 100% happy with such
companies and they load p&p onto already (to my thinking) high prices.

Garden centres and nurseries aren't always perfect either but at least you
can rant to the manager - which usually gets a result.

Mary

I have questioned the rate of p & p with companies. Being in business I know
just how much a Jiffy Bag is for example and how long it takes to shove
something into it. I also know how much the administration costs and the
evidence of the 'postage' is there for all to see.

In 99 cases out of a 100 "Mail Order" is a rip off and a way for the sharks
to make even more money :-((

Shop local and get a local shop to get in what you want

Mike

Bit harsh! If you look at the parcel force site you will see they charge
£11.99 for all parcels up to 30kg, there are some carriers who charge
less per parcel but none of the cheaper ones will carry live plants,
and the packaging costs are not of no significance, you try parceling
several 3' plants in 2lt containers so they are machine handlable. So if
you do not want to pay the postage you end up getting rubbish small
plants as below a certain weight packages can go through the mail. My
advice, unless you know the outfit and what they send out, ask to see a
picture of the (actual) plant before you buy or follow mary's advice and
go in person