GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wireworm in carrots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172423-wireworm-carrots.html)

Barry Carnell 31-03-2008 06:26 PM

Wireworm in carrots

Is there any way to prevent wireworm in carrots?

Broadback 31-03-2008 06:41 PM

Wireworm in carrots

Barry Carnell wrote:
Is there any way to prevent wireworm in carrots?

Are you sure that it is not carrot root fly?

Bob Hobden 31-03-2008 06:43 PM

Wireworm in carrots

"Barry Carnell" wrote
Is there any way to prevent wireworm in carrots?

Usually a problem in newly cultivated ground (ex-grass ) which will decline
over the next few years as you cultivate. Keep turning the soil over to
expose the pest for the birds to eat.
Looking at my books they say dust the seed rows with Lindane or
Pirimiphos-methyl but I bet they are no longer available to the amateur.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Jeff Layman 31-03-2008 08:52 PM

Wireworm in carrots

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Barry Carnell" wrote
Is there any way to prevent wireworm in carrots?

Usually a problem in newly cultivated ground (ex-grass ) which will
decline over the next few years as you cultivate. Keep turning the
soil over to expose the pest for the birds to eat.
Looking at my books they say dust the seed rows with Lindane or
Pirimiphos-methyl but I bet they are no longer available to the
amateur.

Nothing effective is available to the amateur! It can't be _safe_ and
effective, can it? :-(

You can always check he
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/prodsearch.asp

I have a feeling that dimethoate is available in some EU countries for the
amateur, but not the UK. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Barry Carnell 01-04-2008 02:40 PM

Christmas Trees

Can any one tell me how much you can take of the top of Christmas trees,
without killing them.
The hight of them is 15feet tall.

Many thanks,
Barry.

Bob Hobden 01-04-2008 04:56 PM

Christmas Trees

"Barry Carnell" wrote
Can any one tell me how much you can take of the top of Christmas trees,
without killing them.
The hight of them is 15feet tall.

IMO If you cut the top off a Fir Tree it will look awful, I can see two in a
neighbours garden from where I sit. If it's getting too high remove it and
plant something else.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

liketogarden 10-04-2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Carnell (Post 781705)
Is there any way to prevent wireworm in carrots?

You can trap them by burying pieces of potato or carrot close to the attacked plants. If these traps are lifted daily, the wireworms will be found feeding and can be destroyed.