GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spiraea: alive or dead? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172425-spiraea-alive-dead.html)

Nick Maclaren 31-03-2008 07:46 PM

Spiraea: alive or dead?

Well, a Spiraea "Goldflame" that I have had for 30 years, pruned back
each winter to 2', got in the way of a lawn restoration. So I have
cut it back to ground level - a 1' diameter rootstock, no less. So,
will it live or will it die? Bets are now being taken ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jeff Layman 31-03-2008 09:00 PM

Spiraea: alive or dead?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Well, a Spiraea "Goldflame" that I have had for 30 years, pruned back
each winter to 2', got in the way of a lawn restoration. So I have
cut it back to ground level - a 1' diameter rootstock, no less. So,
will it live or will it die? Bets are now being taken ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It'll live.

And just to get its own back, it'll develop into the only vigorous suckering
"Goldflame" ever seen.

So much for the lawn restoration... ;-)))

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Sacha[_3_] 31-03-2008 10:34 PM

Spiraea: alive or dead?

On 31/3/08 21:00, in article ,
"Jeff Layman" wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Well, a Spiraea "Goldflame" that I have had for 30 years, pruned back
each winter to 2', got in the way of a lawn restoration. So I have
cut it back to ground level - a 1' diameter rootstock, no less. So,
will it live or will it die? Bets are now being taken ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It'll live.

And just to get its own back, it'll develop into the only vigorous suckering
"Goldflame" ever seen.

So much for the lawn restoration... ;-)))

It will live, mutate and Nick will make a fortune out of Goldfurnace.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk