Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tree collards

Hello,

I'm looking for "tree collard" seeds. I've read that they come from
New Zealand. Please give a source that can provide the seeds.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/4/08 21:48, in article
,
" wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for "tree collard" seeds. I've read that they come from
New Zealand. Please give a source that can provide the seeds.

I'm wondering if you mean what's known as the Jersey Cabbage, is Brassica
oleracae longata.
http://www.thisisjersey.com/code/sho...ticleID=000453
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 1/4/08 21:48, in article
| ,
| " wrote:
|
| I'm looking for "tree collard" seeds. I've read that they come from
| New Zealand. Please give a source that can provide the seeds.
|
| I'm wondering if you mean what's known as the Jersey Cabbage, is Brassica
| oleracae longata.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/code/sho...ticleID=000453

Or the "cabbage tree" (Cordyline australis)?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/4/08 23:22, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 1/4/08 21:48, in article
| ,
| " wrote:
|
| I'm looking for "tree collard" seeds. I've read that they come from
| New Zealand. Please give a source that can provide the seeds.
|
| I'm wondering if you mean what's known as the Jersey Cabbage, is Brassica
| oleracae longata.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/code/sho...ticleID=000453

Or the "cabbage tree" (Cordyline australis)?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I thought collard greens were things you could eat? The Jersey Cabbage
leaves were sometimes eaten by people but mainly fed to animals and the
stalks turned into walking sticks.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I thought collard greens were things you could eat? The Jersey Cabbage
| leaves were sometimes eaten by people but mainly fed to animals and the
| stalks turned into walking sticks.

Yes - collards are kale. So is the Jersey cabbage :-) And you can
eat Cordyline.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/08 09:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I thought collard greens were things you could eat? The Jersey Cabbage
| leaves were sometimes eaten by people but mainly fed to animals and the
| stalks turned into walking sticks.

Yes - collards are kale. So is the Jersey cabbage :-) And you can
eat Cordyline.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes but do you? It's a bit like playing the harmonica....

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/08 09:47, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

I'll take that as a 'no', then. ;-))

Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 2/4/08 09:47, in article , "Nick
| Maclaren" wrote:
|
| I'll take that as a 'no', then. ;-))

:-)

I never have, but would if I got the chance. If I lived somewhere
they grew easily, I would grow some for culinary purposes. I will
try almost anything once :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/08 10:47, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 2/4/08 09:47, in article , "Nick
| Maclaren" wrote:
|
| I'll take that as a 'no', then. ;-))

:-)

I never have, but would if I got the chance. If I lived somewhere
they grew easily, I would grow some for culinary purposes. I will
try almost anything once :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have plenty here but it's never occurred to me to eat them. Bit spiky!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Hello,

I'm looking for "tree collard" seeds. I've read that they come from
New Zealand. Please give a source that can provide the seeds.

You could try looking for the Portuguese cabbage, or Couve Tronchuda - I
believe that Chiltern Seeds sells them. They're also known as the
walking-stick cabbage.

someone

Old 02-04-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

someone writes

wrote in message
Hello,

I'm looking for "tree collard" seeds. I've read that they come from
New Zealand. Please give a source that can provide the seeds.

You could try looking for the Portuguese cabbage, or Couve Tronchuda - I
believe that Chiltern Seeds sells them. They're also known as the
walking-stick cabbage.

I wondered about those - also known as Couve Galega. They're about 4ft
tall (not including flower spikes)

Fascinating reference here
http://www.swsbm.com/Ephemera/Sturte...ble_Plants.pdf
Old, but full of info

p113 onwards for cabbages, kales, coleworts etc
--
Kay
Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
someone writes

wrote in message
Hello,

I'm looking for "tree collard" seeds. I've read that they come from
New Zealand. Please give a source that can provide the seeds.

You could try looking for the Portuguese cabbage, or Couve Tronchuda - I
believe that Chiltern Seeds sells them. They're also known as the
walking-stick cabbage.

I wondered about those - also known as Couve Galega. They're about 4ft
tall (not including flower spikes)

Fascinating reference here
http://www.swsbm.com/Ephemera/Sturte...ble_Plants.pdf
Old, but full of info

Many thanks for the great reference. I've always found the old books are
the best ones for gardening/botanical information.

someone