Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweetcorn root disturbance

Various authors and web sits suggest that sweetcorn be started off in
peat pots because it doesn't like root disturbance. However, Unwin's
seed packet just mentions "small pots".

Is the "root disturbance" just a gardeners myth? or can someone point me
to *authoritive* information?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 02-04-2008, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Various authors and web sits suggest that sweetcorn be started off in
peat pots because it doesn't like root disturbance. However, Unwin's
seed packet just mentions "small pots".

Is the "root disturbance" just a gardeners myth? or can someone point me
to *authoritive* information?

We plant our sweetcorn in plastic plug trays of 10 x 15 units, where each
unit is about 3 cm square by 5 cm deep, e.g. quite small. After the plants
are about 5" high and the roots are starting to show through the hole in the
bottom of each plug, we stick a pencil up the holes and push all the
seedlings out onto another tray, then plants them in our allotment. We've
never had a problem with root disturbance. Our only problem has been when
the sowing medium gets too damp, then the seeds will rot very easily before
they sprout. Consequently we have found a soil-based medium (e.g. John
Innes #1 or #2) is better than the peat-based multipurpose composts when
first sowing, as the multipurpose composts can be quite wet. We keep a
close eye on the soil and don't usually water at all for the first week or
so, only spraying the plugs a bit on top to keep them damp, if the weather
is very sunny.

HTH.

someone

Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

someone writes

[...]

Root disturbance isn't usually a problem if you sow into individual pots
or cells, and use plastic not clay. It's easy to tip out the whole root
ball and replant without disturbing

It becomes a problem if you are sowing more than one seed in each pot
and try to separate them. Some plants cope with this, others don't.
--
Kay

#2) is better than the peat-based multipurpose composts when first
sowing, as the multipurpose composts can be quite wet. We keep a
close eye on the soil and don't usually water at all for the first
week or so, only spraying the plugs a bit on top to keep them damp,
if the weather is very sunny.
HTH.

someone

Similar here........seeds planted in plug trays. When big enough to handle,
transfered to peat pots.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steve Harris wrote:
Various authors and web sits suggest that sweetcorn be started off in
peat pots because it doesn't like root disturbance. However, Unwin's
seed packet just mentions "small pots".

Is the "root disturbance" just a gardeners myth? or can someone point
me to *authoritive* information?

No idea, but there are probably many gardening myths around that get
perpetuated by those who should know better.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Various authors and web sits suggest that sweetcorn be started off in
peat pots because it doesn't like root disturbance. However, Unwin's
seed packet just mentions "small pots".

Is the "root disturbance" just a gardeners myth? or can someone point me
to *authoritive* information?

Dunno about 'authoritative' but we know from experience that if we just wait
till the temperatures rise and the soil is hot, the seeds we plant will do
as well or better than the seedlings we've transplanted.