GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mystery plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172529-mystery-plant.html)

Mr X 02-04-2008 07:44 PM

mystery plant

Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? I have it growing in the
borders of a field at the end of my garden in south east uk every autumn. I
self seeds and seems to be an annual.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=abc1.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...urrent=abc.jpg

Russel Sprout 03-04-2008 08:44 AM

mystery plant

"Mr X" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? I have it growing in the
borders of a field at the end of my garden in south east uk every autumn.
I self seeds and seems to be an annual.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=abc1.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...urrent=abc.jpg

Could it be an Abelmoschus of some sort?

Stewart Robert Hinsley 03-04-2008 09:12 AM

mystery plant

In message , Russel Sprout
writes

"Mr X" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? I have it growing in the
borders of a field at the end of my garden in south east uk every autumn.
I self seeds and seems to be an annual.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...n=view&current
=abc1.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...n=view&current
=abc.jpg

Could it be an Abelmoschus of some sort?

I doubt that an Abelmoschus would self-seed in the UK climate.

I don't recognise the plant by jizz, and the photograph isn't clear
enough to make out details - the only thing I can say for certain is
that the foliage is long-petiolate and palmately lobed - that would help
pin down the identity, but if the purple clumps are inflorescences then
it clearly isn't an Abelmoschus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://lavateraguy.blogspot.com http://www.malvaceae.info

Nick Maclaren 03-04-2008 09:44 AM

mystery plant

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I don't recognise the plant by jizz, and the photograph isn't clear
| enough to make out details - the only thing I can say for certain is
| that the foliage is long-petiolate and palmately lobed - that would help
| pin down the identity, but if the purple clumps are inflorescences then
| it clearly isn't an Abelmoschus.

Yes. Without a clear picture of the flowers, it is impossible to
tell what family it belongs to. But I should be pretty flabberghasted
it it were an Abelmoschus, even from that picture - it really doesn't
look like one of the Malvaceae.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Russel Sprout 03-04-2008 05:01 PM

mystery plant

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I don't recognise the plant by jizz, and the photograph isn't clear
| enough to make out details - the only thing I can say for certain is
| that the foliage is long-petiolate and palmately lobed - that would
help
| pin down the identity, but if the purple clumps are inflorescences then
| it clearly isn't an Abelmoschus.

Yes. Without a clear picture of the flowers, it is impossible to
tell what family it belongs to. But I should be pretty flabberghasted
it it were an Abelmoschus, even from that picture - it really doesn't
look like one of the Malvaceae.

You are right to be flabberghasted, I was mixing things up in my head. The
correct name is on the tip of my tounge, I'll get back to you if and when it
pops out!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 03-04-2008 06:04 PM

mystery plant

In message , Russel Sprout
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I don't recognise the plant by jizz, and the photograph isn't clear
| enough to make out details - the only thing I can say for certain is
| that the foliage is long-petiolate and palmately lobed - that would
help
| pin down the identity, but if the purple clumps are inflorescences then
| it clearly isn't an Abelmoschus.

Yes. Without a clear picture of the flowers, it is impossible to
tell what family it belongs to. But I should be pretty flabberghasted
it it were an Abelmoschus, even from that picture - it really doesn't
look like one of the Malvaceae.

You are right to be flabberghasted, I was mixing things up in my head. The
correct name is on the tip of my tounge, I'll get back to you if and when it
pops out!

Amaranthus? Atriplex?