GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   glycophospate and goldfish pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172570-glycophospate-goldfish-pond.html)

johngood_____[_3_] 03-04-2008 05:03 PM

glycophospate and goldfish pond

In trying to kill off some rampant bamboo every where around the garden I
want to spray glycophosphate around a small garden pond.

Since any spray that falls on the pond is likely to become very diluted
immediately; is there any potential danger to the goldfish with such a
spray? Thanks for advice.

p.s. I know this post should really go in a 'pond' group, but just looking
at several pond groups they now seem inundated with spam and rubbish.

'Mike' 03-04-2008 05:32 PM

"johngood_____" wrote in message
In trying to kill off some rampant bamboo every where around the garden I
want to spray glycophosphate around a small garden pond.

Since any spray that falls on the pond is likely to become very diluted
immediately; is there any potential danger to the goldfish with such a
spray? Thanks for advice.

p.s. I know this post should really go in a 'pond' group, but just
looking at several pond groups they now seem inundated with spam and
rubbish.

To stop any overspray going into the pond, I would lay plastic sheets over
the pond. Plastic because they float. They will only be there for a couple
of minutes

Mike

Pete C[_2_] 03-04-2008 06:06 PM

johngood_____ wrote:
In trying to kill off some rampant bamboo every where around the
garden I want to spray glycophosphate around a small garden pond.

Since any spray that falls on the pond is likely to become very
diluted immediately; is there any potential danger to the goldfish
with such a spray? Thanks for advice.

p.s. I know this post should really go in a 'pond' group, but just
looking at several pond groups they now seem inundated with spam and
rubbish.

Personally, I just wouldn't get within overspray distance of the pond.
You will find all the advice you need here....
http://www.forums.pondlife.eu/forum/index.php
:)
--
Pete C
London UK

Sacha[_3_] 03-04-2008 06:45 PM

glycophospate and goldfish pond

On 3/4/08 17:03, in article ,
"johngood_____" wrote:

In trying to kill off some rampant bamboo every where around the garden I
want to spray glycophosphate around a small garden pond.

Since any spray that falls on the pond is likely to become very diluted
immediately; is there any potential danger to the goldfish with such a
spray? Thanks for advice.

p.s. I know this post should really go in a 'pond' group, but just looking
at several pond groups they now seem inundated with spam and rubbish.

Yes, it's dangerous to pondlife. If you must use it close to the pond, I
suggest that you put it on with a paint brush, making sure neither brush nor
leaves can drip into the pond.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

MacAdder 26-04-2010 10:09 PM

Does glycophosphate kill amphibians? It was reported that this chemical was sprayed near a pond were the frogs were not heard again.
The next question is glycophosphate toxic to water life such as fish?