Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Default hardy fuchsia

hi, i bought 3 hardy fuchsias early part of last summer and planted them they thrived and flowered producing lovely flowers...come winter they dropped all their leaves and basically became twig bushes (being a complete novice i thought they had died) and i was gonna dig them up. But ive noticed right at the base i mean ground level they have tiny growths bursting from the main stem..my question is if this is normal will this happen al over the plant or just the base?..and if so how far if needed should i cut it back for the spring??
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jellyfish wrote:
hi, i bought 3 hardy fuchsias early part of last summer and planted them
they thrived and flowered producing lovely flowers...come winter they
dropped all their leaves and basically became twig bushes (being a
complete novice i thought they had died) and i was gonna dig them up.
But ive noticed right at the base i mean ground level they have tiny
growths bursting from the main stem..my question is if this is normal
will this happen al over the plant or just the base?..and if so how far
if needed should i cut it back for the spring??

I have had one in the garden for a few years, it always grows back from
the ground so in spring I just cut off all the dead wood above ground
and let it get on with it.

Bazza
Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/4/08 23:25, in article ,
"jellyfish" wrote:

hi, i bought 3 hardy fuchsias early part of last summer and planted them
they thrived and flowered producing lovely flowers...come winter they
dropped all their leaves and basically became twig bushes (being a
complete novice i thought they had died) and i was gonna dig them up.
But ive noticed right at the base i mean ground level they have tiny
growths bursting from the main stem..my question is if this is normal
will this happen al over the plant or just the base?..and if so how far
if needed should i cut it back for the spring??

This is normal for many Fuchsias, depending on where you live. We grow
several here and some get cut back each year, coming again from the base in
spring. Others stay green all winter and flower until very late in the year
etc. Before cutting back the apparently dead wood, you need to be sure it
really is dead, so scrape just a tiny bit of the bark back - and I do mean
tiny - and if the stem is alive underneath, leave well alone! We cut off
the truly dead wood but it might be an idea to wait until danger of frost is
past because some people believe the old wood helps to protect the new
growth - same with dead-heading hydrangeas. If you know which Fuchsias you
have and tell us where you live, that will help others to help you further.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 23:25:05 +0100, jellyfish wrote:

hi, i bought 3 hardy fuchsias early part of last summer and planted them
they thrived and flowered producing lovely flowers...come winter they
dropped all their leaves and basically became twig bushes (being a
complete novice i thought they had died) and i was gonna dig them up.
But ive noticed right at the base i mean ground level they have tiny
growths bursting from the main stem..my question is if this is normal
will this happen al over the plant or just the base?..and if so how far
if needed should i cut it back for the spring??

I have grown hardy fuchsias for many years, both in North Devon and here on
Tyneside. They are almost impossible to kill.
The text books would have you cut to the ground each spring (Leaving the
twigs overwinter may protect the shoots, but mostly it stops me standing on
them).
If you want to shape a bush and make it taller or as a standard then wait
until the 'twigs' begin to sprout then pick suitable ones to train,
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Hardy fuchsia -- please identify No Name United Kingdom 4 23-11-2015 01:35 AM
Fuchsia - Fuchsia-firecracker-throwback.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia - Fuchsia-Firecracker.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia paul United Kingdom 2 12-03-2003 05:32 PM
PNW help - Fuchsia procumbens and Jasminum nudiflorum sam Gardening 3 05-02-2003 07:29 PM