Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning privet

A a few meters of a 7' tall privet hedge and some holly at our bowling
club has gradually overgrown part of a pathway. Ideally, it needs to be
trimmed back some six inches and that would mean cutting into old wood.
If I do that now will it recover this year?

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Emrys Davies" writes:
| A a few meters of a 7' tall privet hedge and some holly at our bowling
| club has gradually overgrown part of a pathway. Ideally, it needs to be
| trimmed back some six inches and that would mean cutting into old wood.
| If I do that now will it recover this year?

Yes. Both will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" writes:

A a few meters of a 7' tall privet hedge and some holly at our bowling
club has gradually overgrown part of a pathway. Ideally, it needs to be
trimmed back some six inches and that would mean cutting into old wood.
If I do that now will it recover this year?

Cut it back further than it needs, and let the new growth fill back
in. It doesn't take long to start looking reasonable again.

Anthony

Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks a lot to both of you. I just needed reassurance.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

wrote in message ...
"Emrys Davies" writes:

A a few meters of a 7' tall privet hedge and some holly at our

bowling
club has gradually overgrown part of a pathway. Ideally, it needs

to be
trimmed back some six inches and that would mean cutting into old

wood.
If I do that now will it recover this year?

Cut it back further than it needs, and let the new growth fill back
in. It doesn't take long to start looking reasonable again.

Anthony

Newbie questions about pruning privet hedge ajax Gardening 75 26-03-2008 03:37 AM
Pruning a privet hedge? DavidM United Kingdom 6 03-09-2006 12:35 PM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
[IBC] Unhappy Privet Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 20-02-2003 12:51 AM
Privet Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 03:25 AM