Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ladybirds

Having my shower this morning and watching a ladybird walking on the
wall near the window thinking to myself don't fly into the shower spray
but it took off and landed on the window blind.
On looking closer I counted 7 ladybirds clambering over the window and
blind, some where red or yellow with up to 10 black spots, a few where
black with 4 red spots.
I have seen the odd one in the house before but not of this quantity,
does that mean we are going to have a plague of them this year?

Bazza
Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bazza" wrote in message
Having my shower this morning and watching a ladybird walking on the wall
near the window thinking to myself don't fly into the shower spray but it
took off and landed on the window blind.
On looking closer I counted 7 ladybirds clambering over the window and
blind, some where red or yellow with up to 10 black spots, a few where
black with 4 red spots.
I have seen the odd one in the house before but not of this quantity, does
that mean we are going to have a plague of them this year?

Bazza

Hi Bazza , Don't know much about ladybirds but this might
help you
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...istinction.htm

All I know is they eat greenfly (good) and the little buggers bite (bad)

HTH

Wally

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wally wrote:

"Bazza" wrote in message
Having my shower this morning and watching a ladybird walking on the
wall near the window thinking to myself don't fly into the shower
spray but it took off and landed on the window blind.
On looking closer I counted 7 ladybirds clambering over the window and
blind, some where red or yellow with up to 10 black spots, a few where
black with 4 red spots.
I have seen the odd one in the house before but not of this quantity,
does that mean we are going to have a plague of them this year?

Bazza

Hi Bazza , Don't know much about ladybirds but this might
help you
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...istinction.htm

All I know is they eat greenfly (good) and the little buggers bite (bad)

HTH

Wally

Had a look at the site, mine are harlequins, good if they eat aphids but
bad if they displace our native species still I always transport a few
to my greenhouse to help control the aphids so they will be as good as any.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/4/08 10:16, in article ,
"Bazza" wrote:

Having my shower this morning and watching a ladybird walking on the
wall near the window thinking to myself don't fly into the shower spray
but it took off and landed on the window blind.
On looking closer I counted 7 ladybirds clambering over the window and
blind, some where red or yellow with up to 10 black spots, a few where
black with 4 red spots.
I have seen the odd one in the house before but not of this quantity,
does that mean we are going to have a plague of them this year?

Bazza

That's curious. Talking to my son on the phone yesterday, he said the
French windows in his study were 'swarming' with ladybirds inside the house.
I told him to open the windows and encourage them into the garden. I wonder
what could cause this. Whatever it is, I hope they're the welcome ones.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2008, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello All

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 4/4/08 10:16, in article ,
"Bazza" wrote:

Having my shower this morning and watching a ladybird walking on the
wall near the window thinking to myself don't fly into the shower spray
but it took off and landed on the window blind.
On looking closer I counted 7 ladybirds clambering over the window and
blind, some where red or yellow with up to 10 black spots, a few where
black with 4 red spots.
I have seen the odd one in the house before but not of this quantity,
does that mean we are going to have a plague of them this year?

Bazza

That's curious. Talking to my son on the phone yesterday, he said the
French windows in his study were 'swarming' with ladybirds inside the house.
I told him to open the windows and encourage them into the garden. I wonder
what could cause this. Whatever it is, I hope they're the welcome ones.

This thread in most interesting. I am near Ipswich in East Anglia, and until
this Spring had not seen a harlequin ladybird. However I have found 2 on the
inside of a window, and another member of our local garden club has had the
same experience. It looks as though the last generation from last year seems
to have hibernated in our nice warm houses. The problem is that I have not
seen any of our native ones yet. They usually hibernated in my garden shed.
Are the harlequins awake too early, and going to suffer from lack of food and
the cold snap this weekend, or are they going to get off to a rapid start,
and swamp us and our native ones ?

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England

Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

"Bazza" wrote in message
Having my shower this morning and watching a ladybird walking on the wall
near the window thinking to myself don't fly into the shower spray but it
took off and landed on the window blind.
On looking closer I counted 7 ladybirds clambering over the window and
blind, some where red or yellow with up to 10 black spots, a few where
black with 4 red spots.
I have seen the odd one in the house before but not of this quantity,
does that mean we are going to have a plague of them this year?

Bazza

Hi Bazza , Don't know much about ladybirds but this might
help you
http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...istinction.htm

All I know is they eat greenfly (good) and the little buggers bite (bad)

I read last year that Harlequin ladybirds are a Bad Thing and will displace
our native 3-spot and 7-spot. Harlequins have been appearing much more
frequently in our garden than the native ones which is a cause for worry.
They also overwintered indoors in my house, I found at least 10 over the
past six months.

someone

Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 32 27-03-2005 10:55 PM
Ladybirds galore Pam Morris United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 10:50 AM
Greenfly / Ladybirds JennyC United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 01:11 PM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 2 18-04-2004 05:07 AM
where are all the ladybirds? Pickle United Kingdom 6 08-07-2003 06:32 AM