GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lily beetle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172623-lily-beetle.html)

Jeff Layman 05-04-2008 02:16 PM

Lily beetle

Found the usual holes on the Madonna lily leaves yesterday. First Lily
beetle of the year found deep in the centre shortly after. Now deceased...

It's amazing how quickly they appear as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

may 05-04-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Layman (Post 782564)
Found the usual holes on the Madonna lily leaves yesterday. First Lily
beetle of the year found deep in the centre shortly after. Now deceased...

It's amazing how quickly they appear as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

the dreaded lily bettle , i also found one on some lilies that i forgot about in the garden , and i did get him before he got away .

so i have just sprayed the lilies with some bug killer that said it killed lily bettle . darn things

Mr X 06-04-2008 11:28 AM

Lily beetle

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Found the usual holes on the Madonna lily leaves yesterday. First Lily
beetle of the year found deep in the centre shortly after. Now
deceased...

It's amazing how quickly they appear as soon as the weather warms up a
bit.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

I had one on my lillys last year, what a striking beetle I thought so I left
it there, then I saw the damage it was doing, so I read up on it and
discovered it was a lily beetle so I squashed it.

may 22-04-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by may (Post 782572)
the dreaded lily bettle , i also found one on some lilies that i forgot about in the garden , and i did get him before he got away .

so i have just sprayed the lilies with some bug killer that said it killed lily bettle . darn things

after spraying my lilies so far so good ,but i am a bit worried that the spray will kill the ladybirds

beccabunga 23-04-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by may (Post 785963)
after spraying my lilies so far so good ,but i am a bit worried that the spray will kill the ladybirds

I put insect killer into a glass jar and shake the beetles into that. Has to be done at least once a day, and possible twice.

may 14-05-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 786276)
I put insect killer into a glass jar and shake the beetles into that. Has to be done at least once a day, and possible twice.

so far so good with this spray i have used , it is called PROVADA ULTIMATE BUG KILLER
and since spraying i have not had any leaves eaten at all ,this time last year when i didnt spray the lily bettle had eaten most the leaves.
And after spraying it says on the container that they dont need to be sprayed until 4 to 6 weeks later . it seems to be working quite good i got it from one of the DIY stores.

echinosum 14-05-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 786276)
I put insect killer into a glass jar and shake the beetles into that. Has to be done at least once a day, and possible twice.

No need to pay for chemicals. Zoologists collecting specimens put some broken "laurel" (ie evergreen prunus) leaves in a jar and put insects in with them and the lid on and leave them for a while. The leaves give off enough cyanide to kill insects.

may 16-05-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echinosum (Post 791593)
No need to pay for chemicals. Zoologists collecting specimens put some broken "laurel" (ie evergreen prunus) leaves in a jar and put insects in with them and the lid on and leave them for a while. The leaves give off enough cyanide to kill insects.

Thats seem a good idea why dont they make a spray of it