Old 22-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Registered User

Default Time to take cuttings?

I always read that late summer is the time to take cuttings from shrubs and perennials. Last year I lost most of my cuttings over the winter.

Is there any reason why I can't take some cuttings from some of the new shoots coming up? In particular I'm thinking of Weigela.
Old 22-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Rod

--

None at all - only limitation is the availability of good cutting material and your facilities/skill in taking/caring
for soft cuttings. Don't try them too soft - wait until they feel like they've started to develop a bit of woody tissue

Rod

Old 23-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Emrys Davies

'Estee',

Far too early to take cuttings of Weigela because the growth is too soft
at the present time. Take your cuttings, with a heel from half-ripened
lateral non-flowering shoots , in June or July and they will root quite
easily.

In the winter protect your rooted cuttings from the severe weather by
covering your coldframe with carpets or whatever it takes to protect
them from severe frosts. It may well be that you will decide to move
them into a garage, shed, porch or even a coldish bedroom or the like
just to enable them to survive during the most severe weather
conditions.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

s.com...

Old 23-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Emrys Davies
writes
'Estee',

Far too early to take cuttings of Weigela because the growth is too soft
at the present time. Take your cuttings, with a heel from half-ripened
lateral non-flowering shoots , in June or July and they will root quite
easily.

I tend just to stick a few sticks in the ground after I have pruned them
back after flowering. A lot strike and make it through the winter!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,