GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hope and Styrofoam Trays (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172639-hope-styrofoam-trays.html)

Moggz 06-04-2008 12:32 AM

Hope and Styrofoam Trays

After last years disastrous summer I decided to try harder this year, I lost nearly everything I planted last year and was hoping to do better this year.

Sadly, I seem to be having issues with germination this year. Even in propagators, very few seedlings are appearing, some seedlings taking 32 days to germinate (peppers).

So I am looking to other methods of germination.

I have seen the use of polystyrene cups and bowls used for germination and growing on, and I have seen Styrofoam trays, and was thinking of giving it a try - BUT I can not find where to buy the Styrofoam trays.

Does anyone know of a supplier in the UK?

Please please help, I am on the verge of giving up on my gardening.

Thanks in advance

K 06-04-2008 02:53 PM

Hope and Styrofoam Trays

Moggz writes

After last years disastrous summer I decided to try harder this year, I
lost nearly everything I planted last year and was hoping to do better
this year.

Sadly, I seem to be having issues with germination this year. Even in
propagators, very few seedlings are appearing, some seedlings taking 32
days to germinate (peppers).

Where are you planting your seeds? - garden, greenhouse (heated or
unheated), indoors? Are the propagators heated? It's quite cold still at
the moment.

--
Kay

Moggz 07-04-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K (Post 782826)

Where are you planting your seeds? - garden, greenhouse (heated or
unheated), indoors? Are the propagators heated? It's quite cold still at
the moment.

--
Kay

Im using both heated and unheated propagators depending on the plants.

But I'm not having much luck, not even with tomatoes

liketogarden 11-04-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moggz (Post 782988)
Im using both heated and unheated propagators depending on the plants.

But I'm not having much luck, not even with tomatoes

Mm, thatīs unusual. Try sprinkling a layer of vermiculite over the seeds when youīve sown them, that will help retain moisture, prevent fluctuations in temperature, and allow light through. Put a clear propagator lid over the tray, or put it in a clear plastic bag to increase the humidity, but when they start to germinate, give them ventilation so as to minimise damping-off. The vermiculite will help prevent damping-off too.
Donīt sow them too close together, they need room, and it will make it easier to prick them out. Put them somewhere light, with a reasonably constant temperature, not too hot, not too cold.
Always keep the compost moist, but not soaking wet.