Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Registered User

Question Rhubarb sprouting in between patio tiles?!

We recently planted two types of rhubarb in patio pots next to one another; one had come from a family garden, the other was a new plant purchased at a local garden centre.

They both seem to be growing very well, but we noticed yesterday that a sprout had emerged from the edge of a nearby drain! And today another has appeared in the crack between our paving slabs and the wall of the house. Closer inspection revealed they'd also developed a fondness for growing in gaps in the paving behind the pots in which they were originally planted; we're getting quite a family!

Is this normal? What's especially worrying is that the ones growing in the concrete are developing at a much quicker rate than those in the pots. Is it likely they've morphed into some kind of weed?!

We're very much novice gardeners and any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb sprouting in between patio tiles?!

Food from weeds? Sounds like a good idea. Swiss Chard is another one that
self-seeds all over the place but so far not between paving stones.

--
Clemens

Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 01:53:40 +0100, Clemens
wrote:

We recently planted two types of rhubarb in patio pots next to one
another; one had come from a family garden, the other was a new plant
purchased at a local garden centre.

They both seem to be growing very well, but we noticed yesterday that a
sprout had emerged from the edge of a nearby drain! And today another
has appeared in the crack between our paving slabs and the wall of the
house. Closer inspection revealed they'd also developed a fondness for
growing in gaps in the paving behind the pots in which they were
originally planted; we're getting quite a family!

Is this normal? What's especially worrying is that the ones growing in
the concrete are developing at a much quicker rate than those in the
pots. Is it likely they've morphed into some kind of weed?!

We're very much novice gardeners and any advice would be much
appreciated!

I can't believe that the shoots between your paving slabs etc are from
the rhubarb you planted in pots. Rhubarb doesn't do that. They must
be some other weed.
Can you give us a link to a photo for us to see?

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-04-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We recently planted two types of rhubarb in patio pots next to one
another; one had come from a family garden, the other was a new plant
purchased at a local garden centre.

They both seem to be growing very well, but we noticed yesterday that a
sprout had emerged from the edge of a nearby drain! And today another
has appeared in the crack between our paving slabs and the wall of the
house. Closer inspection revealed they'd also developed a fondness for
growing in gaps in the paving behind the pots in which they were
originally planted; we're getting quite a family!

Is this normal? What's especially worrying is that the ones growing in
the concrete are developing at a much quicker rate than those in the
pots. Is it likely they've morphed into some kind of weed?!

We're very much novice gardeners and any advice would be much
appreciated!

Sounds alarming! You could probably sell the plot to Hollywood for a
horror film - "My House Was Eaten By Rhubarb" cert X.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote
Clemens
[...]

Quite agree with Pam, this is one plant that is well behaved, just growing
bigger each year, it does not move all over the place like some plants.
You have something else growing in the cracks etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 12:17:54 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Is this normal? What's especially worrying is that the ones growing in
the concrete are developing at a much quicker rate than those in the
pots. Is it likely they've morphed into some kind of weed?!

We're very much novice gardeners and any advice would be much
appreciated!

I can't believe that the shoots between your paving slabs etc are from
the rhubarb you planted in pots. Rhubarb doesn't do that. They must
be some other weed.
Can you give us a link to a photo for us to see?

Quite agree with Pam, this is one plant that is well behaved, just growing
bigger each year, it does not move all over the place like some plants.
You have something else growing in the cracks etc.

Herb robert is the same sort of red as rhubarb.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Is this normal? What's especially worrying is that the ones growing in
the concrete are developing at a much quicker rate than those in the
pots. Is it likely they've morphed into some kind of weed?!

We're very much novice gardeners and any advice would be much
appreciated!

I can't believe that the shoots between your paving slabs etc are from
the rhubarb you planted in pots. *Rhubarb doesn't do that. *They must
be some other weed.
Can you give us a link to a photo for us to see?

Quite agree with Pam, this is one plant that is well behaved, just growing
bigger each year, it does not move all over the place like some plants.
You have something else growing in the cracks etc.

Herb robert is the same sort of red as rhubarb.

But you could not possibly confuse it with rhubarb.
Cat(h)

Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/4/08 14:03, in article
, "Cat(h)"

wrote:

Is this normal? What's especially worrying is that the ones growing in
the concrete are developing at a much quicker rate than those in the
pots. Is it likely they've morphed into some kind of weed?!

We're very much novice gardeners and any advice would be much
appreciated!

I can't believe that the shoots between your paving slabs etc are from
the rhubarb you planted in pots. *Rhubarb doesn't do that. *They must
be some other weed.
Can you give us a link to a photo for us to see?

Quite agree with Pam, this is one plant that is well behaved, just growing
bigger each year, it does not move all over the place like some plants.
You have something else growing in the cracks etc.

Herb robert is the same sort of red as rhubarb.

But you could not possibly confuse it with rhubarb.
Cat(h)

Is the OP absolutely certain he bought rhubarb? I know this sounds like the
original silly question but did he, by any chance, pick up a pot of
something like Rodgersia or Gunnera and think he'd got rhubarb?! It's
happened here when the leaves are just coming through.
But I think the best thing to do is to cut off some of the leaves and any
root that can be extricated, take it to the nearest nursery or gc and ask if
they know what it is.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

why no sprouting on my Purple sprouting? Moonraker United Kingdom 3 05-03-2012 10:53 PM
Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb!!!!!! Dgethin United Kingdom 4 04-08-2007 03:51 PM
Red teracota tiles Tom United Kingdom 4 19-06-2005 11:02 AM
Stopping wisteria growing under roof tiles Lobster United Kingdom 3 14-06-2005 08:45 AM
Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb!!! Serendipity United Kingdom 19 29-09-2003 08:22 AM