GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden furniture security (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/17265-garden-furniture-security.html)

MJG 22-04-2003 09:32 PM

Garden furniture security

Slightly off topic I know but I was not sure where else to post this
one.

We are about to have delivered a fairly large teak garden table two
benches and two chairs.

I really would like to hang on to them and would be grateful if any
could advise or point me in the right direction as to how I might keep
these items secure.

They are pretty heavy and would be difficult to nick but nothing is
impossible.

Lifting in and out the house/garage/shed each time we want to use them
is impractical due to their size/weight.

Any ideas or tips any one.

----
MJG

(Take THEDOG out to email me!!)

Kay Easton 22-04-2003 09:56 PM

Garden furniture security

In article , MJG martin.gil
writes
Slightly off topic I know but I was not sure where else to post this
one.

We are about to have delivered a fairly large teak garden table two
benches and two chairs.

I really would like to hang on to them and would be grateful if any
could advise or point me in the right direction as to how I might keep
these items secure.

They are pretty heavy and would be difficult to nick but nothing is
impossible.

Lifting in and out the house/garage/shed each time we want to use them
is impractical due to their size/weight.

Any ideas or tips any one.

1) Take a fairly heavy chain and good padlock, thread the chain through
a suitable place on the furniture and round an immovable object. use as
many chains as you need. If there isn't anything to chain it to, you can
drill and embed a stout ring in the house wall or the terrace, or bury a
large lump of concrete with a ring in it. Potted plants can obscure the
chains and make them look less ugly.

2) postcode the legs - preferably by carving, otherwise paint. You can
do it neatly and unobtrusively.

These aren't alternatives! - I'd suggest you should do both. You are
right to be worried.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Mike 22-04-2003 09:56 PM

Garden furniture security

In article , MJG martin.gil
writes
Slightly off topic I know but I was not sure where else to post this
one.

We are about to have delivered a fairly large teak garden table two
benches and two chairs.

I really would like to hang on to them and would be grateful if any
could advise or point me in the right direction as to how I might keep
these items secure.

They are pretty heavy and would be difficult to nick but nothing is
impossible.

Lifting in and out the house/garage/shed each time we want to use them
is impractical due to their size/weight.

Any ideas or tips any one.

----
MJG

(Take THEDOG out to email me!!)

If the table can stay in the same place, I recommend a, or a couple of
long bolt type things concreted into the ground and a couple of angle
brackets screwed to the table with the bolts going through holes in same
with nuts on top, then the end of the thread riveted over. For the
chairs, lengths of chain and padlocks to the table when you are not
there, removed when you are. OR do the same with the chairs, but we like
to move our chairs around.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Bart Bailey 22-04-2003 11:56 PM

Garden furniture security

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:05:53 +0100, MJG
wrote:

Slightly off topic I know but I was not sure where else to post this
one.

We are about to have delivered a fairly large teak garden table two
benches and two chairs.

I really would like to hang on to them and would be grateful if any
could advise or point me in the right direction as to how I might keep
these items secure.

They are pretty heavy and would be difficult to nick but nothing is
impossible.

Lifting in and out the house/garage/shed each time we want to use them
is impractical due to their size/weight.

Any ideas or tips any one.

----
MJG

(Take THEDOG out to email me!!)

Thread and lock a wire rope cable through all pieces.
This will create an unwieldy bundle,
requiring the entirety to be moved at once,
yet can be easily removed, coiled, and stashed
when you want to use the set for yourself.

Bart

Janet Baraclough 23-04-2003 12:08 AM

Garden furniture security

The message
from MJG contains these words:

Slightly off topic I know but I was not sure where else to post this
one.

No it isn't :-)

We are about to have delivered a fairly large teak garden table two
benches and two chairs.

I really would like to hang on to them and would be grateful if any
could advise or point me in the right direction as to how I might keep
these items secure.

They are pretty heavy and would be difficult to nick but nothing is
impossible.

According to the police, garden items are often stolen for fast
anonymous disposal in carboot markets, so do something to make yours
unsaleable. My garden furniture is all marked underneath in large
letters in indelible marker pen, "stolen from (our name and post
code)".Items like mowers and bikes are similarly marked.

One of our garden seats was an anniversary present so is also carved
along the back with our names and wedding day. Nobody else is going to
want that. You might prefer to think of some similar way to personalise
your own.

Janet.

Simon Avery 23-04-2003 12:32 AM

Garden furniture security

MJG wrote:

Hello MJG

M I really would like to hang on to them and would be grateful
M if any could advise or point me in the right direction as to
M how I might keep these items secure.

If on concrete or paving, four right-angle brackets fixed to the
ground and to the legs will dissuade most thieves.

As for the chairs - best bet is to heap them together and run a chain
and padlock through the lot and onto something fixed, like yer table.

Paul Kelly 23-04-2003 12:56 AM

Garden furniture security

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
MJG wrote:

Hello MJG

M I really would like to hang on to them and would be grateful
M if any could advise or point me in the right direction as to
M how I might keep these items secure.

If on concrete or paving, four right-angle brackets fixed to the
ground and to the legs will dissuade most thieves.

As for the chairs - best bet is to heap them together and run a chain
and padlock through the lot and onto something fixed, like yer table.

Er, how about a locked gate?

I can't help but think that chaining up garden furniture will destroy much
of the pleasure of a garden

pk

Dave Liquorice 23-04-2003 02:20 AM

Garden furniture security

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:40:58 -0700, Bart Bailey wrote:

Thread and lock a wire rope cable through all pieces.

snip
yet can be easily removed...

....with a bolt cutter. Wire rope isn't particulary hard to cut,
ordinary chain is slightly harder. If you can get a hardened chain
that'll slow 'em down.

Best bet is to, literally, bolt it down. You can get ground anchors, 2
to 3' long 1/2" dia steel bars with a loop at one end and a split flat
disc forming a part spiral at the other. You simply (ha!) screw them
into the ground. Useful for the middle of lawns, remember where that
eye is though or the mower won't like you. B-)

Big problem is that any security you add that can be undone by you can
be almost as easyly be undone by a thief. Some basic security and
deterrent by obvious marking to reduce saleabilty might be worth
while.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

shannie 23-04-2003 02:56 AM

Garden furniture security

Big problem is that any security you add that can be undone by you can
be almost as easyly be undone by a thief. Some basic security and
deterrent by obvious marking to reduce saleabilty might be worth
while.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

What about some kind of sensor device a little bit like the one in the link
below. It's not great but It's the only one I could find with limited time
tonight, google may throw up some better one's that could work in
conjunction with the marking and anchoring suggested by the other posters.
The surprise of a loud noise in the dead of night may help long enough for
you to call the authorities.

http://shopping.lycos.co.uk/3075en809771.html

Shan

Charlie 23-04-2003 07:32 AM

Garden furniture security

You could get a motion sensor like the ones people fit onto motorbikes.
They're pretty good, I think they work on the principle of a ball in a
chamber, the chamber detects when the ball is one the alarm has been set,
with the alarm going off if the ball moves. If you see what I mean. Kinda.

Charlie.

"shannie" wrote in message
[...]

---

swroot 23-04-2003 01:59 PM

Garden furniture security

Charlie wrote:

You could get a motion sensor like the ones people fit onto motorbikes.
They're pretty good, I think they work on the principle of a ball in a
chamber, the chamber detects when the ball is one the alarm has been set,
with the alarm going off if the ball moves. If you see what I mean. Kinda.

I'd be grateful if someone could recommend a brand. We've been waiting
two years for the garden sculpture that will be finished in May, and
while we'll almost certainly bring it indoors at night/when we're not
in, it would be good to have something to alert us if anything happens
while we're not actually admiring it.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley

Charlie 23-04-2003 04:22 PM

Garden furniture security

Just go into your local motorbike shop! I'm sure that they would help you!

I think there's one made by Yamaha that I looked at for the bike I'm buying.
I think it was in the Yamaha accessories catalogue anyway - that was
recommended to me.

Charlie.

Dave Liquorice 23-04-2003 07:23 PM

Garden furniture security

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:12:49 +0100, Charlie wrote:

You could get a motion sensor ...

A proper motion sensor (tipping ball, mercury switch) is probably
better than a PIR based device (that Owl is probably PIR). At least it
won't trigger from passing dogs/cats etc.

Bart Bailey 23-04-2003 07:48 PM

Garden furniture security

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:54:04 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

At least it won't trigger from passing dogs/cats etc.

Nor will repel any of those strays that stop by to "sign in" g

Bart

Drakanthus 28-04-2003 11:08 AM

Garden furniture security

Er, how about a locked gate?

I can't help but think that chaining up garden furniture will destroy much
of the pleasure of a garden

pk

Having just read this thread I tend to agree. The idea of garden furniture is to
be able to relax. However, if more time is spent worrying about the possible theft
of the items then this defeats the purpose. We keep our boundary reasonably secure
with thorny hedging / and locked gates. While we do have a few expensive items in
the garden, we just have cheap plastic garden furniture - this is both comfortable
and I don't lose any sleep worrying if it is going to be stolen!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)