Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Isle of Wight

On 7/4/08 16:22, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:58:34 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 7/4/08 11:43, in article
, "Granity"
wrote:

snip

It is generally accepted that in the Roman period it was warmer in
Britain than it is now, then we had the Mediaeval warming period circa
1100 AD. Why would we not expect to have a naturally occurring warming
period now?

My husband always reminds me that the Romans grew grapes for wine making in
the far north!

There are some vines that can survive long hard frosts. I have one, that I
bought 32 years ago in Germany. It has survived several very cold winters
particularly 1978-1979 when the IJsselmeer was frozen hard from December until
March.

I doubt the Romans had hybridised their vines to that extent, though.

However, as the whole issue of climate change seems to
involved carbon emissions, the ozone layer and a lot of expert opinion, it
can't be dismissed altogether, IMO. There appears to be evidence to back
these claims but also IMO, it's being used as a very convenient distraction
from other things which are perhaps, more urgent. Health, crime, education
and encroaching poverty spring to my mind.

Yes.

Politicians always believe they can fool the voting public - until they find
out they can't.

--
Sacha

Old 07-04-2008, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Granity
writes

'Mike';782900 Wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in

One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall
this year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature
records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency
of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence
into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

One shouldn't confuse weather with climate.
--

Martin

But...........in the UK we dont have climate just weather.

I remember when I was young the strange weather was blamed on the
Atom
bomb, then neucular tests, then the rockets punching holes in the
ozone layer.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I forgot about those "Excuses"! I wonder what it will be when "Global
Warming" has died its death!!

Mike

.

It is generally accepted that in the Roman period it was warmer in
Britain than it is now, then we had the Mediaeval warming period circa
1100 AD. Why would we not expect to have a naturally occurring warming
period now?

We did. It is responsible for about one third of the global temperature
rise over the last 50 years. (There's a weak consensus that in the
absence of anthropogenic forcings we would now be in a natural cooling
trend.)

The relevant issue is not whether it was warmer in Britain during the
Roman period or the Mediaeval Climate Optimum, but whether it was warmer
worldwide. It's generally accepted among climatologists that it was not.

I'd also suspect that the general acceptance of it being warmer in
Britain in those historical periods has been overtaken by the warming
trend of the last 50 years. However, regardless of whether it has been
conclusively shown that the current trend has exceeded the historical
natural variability, the problem is not so much the past rise - we can
live with that - but the future rise. Because of timelags in the system
- for example it takes time for the oceans to warm up in response to the
increased greenhouse effect - there is a fair bit of warming in the
pipeline even if greenhouse gases were immediately stabilised. But
greenhouse gas emissions are continuing apace, which means that even
more warming can be expected.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-04-2008, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Granity
writes

'Mike';782900 Wrote:
[...]

and you think 'man' is responsible?

Stewart, I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no ......

Father Christmas
Tooth Fairy
Loch Ness Monster
etc
etc
etc

For crying out loud man, "Global Warming" is the latest fad, rather like
the Hoola Hoop and Rubik Cube were a few years ago

Mike.
Living in the real world

Old 07-04-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Apr, 17:23, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in ...

In message , Granity
writes

'Mike';782900 Wrote:
[...]

--www.rneba.org.uk. The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Association.
'THE' Association to find your ex-Greenie mess mates.- Hide quoted text -

Are you sure that the Loch Ness monster hasn't died out because of
global warming?

As for the Romans growing grapes to make wine in the North of England,
it could be that it wasn't a change of temp. that stoped this
practice, just more Ale and beer being drunk and peoples taste for
wine becoming more refined so that the old varieties died out
It's much easier to grow grain and brew a drink from it, than to grow
vines and to make wine.
Though the monastries grew vines for wine making till the disalution
of the monastries.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes
and you think 'man' is responsible?

Stewart, I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no ......

Father Christmas
Tooth Fairy
Loch Ness Monster
etc
etc
etc

Global warming is hardly my bubble - it would be nice if we could
dismiss anthropogenic causes of global warming, as we could then
reasonably expect the trend to reverse, but the general outline of
increased greenhouse gases (CO2 up 30%, CH4 and NO2 also up, CFCs up
greatly, as they were essentially absent before we interfered) resulting
in increased temperatures is fairly basic physics.

Whether you like it or not

relativity is a fact
evolution is a fact (and you are descended from an ape)
the earth is 4.5 billion years old
anthropogenic global warming is a fact
etc
etc
etc

For crying out loud man, "Global Warming" is the latest fad, rather
like the Hoola Hoop and Rubik Cube were a few years ago

Mike.
Living in the real world

Someone who thinks Kleeneze distributorships are good ideas, never mind
denies basic physics, is hardly living in the real world.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Mike.
Living in the real world

Someone who thinks Kleeneze distributorships are good ideas, never mind
denies basic physics, is hardly living in the real world.

Yup, that's our Uncle Albert, bless him :-)

Jeff
Old 07-04-2008, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

In message , BAC
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White

Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths, .............
yet

First we have seen for years.

Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for
several
years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun shining looks
like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of which there has
been no global warming at all this century, and none is expected for a
number of years, that is the official UN report!

How can that be, if there is a direct link between greenhouse gas
emissions
and climate change, as we have been assured by panels of scientists and
politicians? Global anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions have been
increasing sharply, recently, mainly due to the understandable (who wants
live in the stone age?) rate of modernisation of developing world
economies,
and the growth in the world population. Shouldn't that mean a noticeable
increase in mean temperatures should be evident?

I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, or in which direction
you be being sarcastic.

To claim that there has been no warming this century requires ignoring the
existence of weather (in the form of interannual variability) and taking
advantage that there have only been 7 complete years in the century (so
that the trend does not overwhelm the noise).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ure_Record.svg

One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall this
year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

I was indeed being sarcastic - even though I can tell my Ninas from my
Ninos - because, it seems to me, 'climate change' hysteria is being
cynically exploited to hike up energy costs to the consumer, with no
realistic prospect of the measures adopted having any real effect on the
phenomenon.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

In message , BAC
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

except for those gullible enough to accept it and believe in Santa Claus,
the Tooth Fairy and the Loch Ness Monster etc :-(((

Mike

Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

In message , BAC
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

wants to
[...]

Gullible? Ha! Next thing I know, you'll be telling me Alan Titchmarsh is the
sheriff of the IoW.

Steve

Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

In message , BAC
writes

Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

In message , BAC
writes

Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

In message , Broadback
writes
'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White
Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths, .............
yet
First we have seen for years.
Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for several
years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun shining looks
like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of which there has
been no global warming at all this century, and none is expected for a
number of years, that is the official UN report!

The claim that "global warming has stopped" is based on 1998 being way
above the trend line (strong El Nino), but even so it's not clear whether
1998 or 2005 was the warmest year on record. 7 of the 8 warmest years on
record were in this century, not to mention last year's unprecedented
retreat of the Arctic sea ice.

Claims that "global warming has stopped" requires ignoring the existence
of interannual variability modifying the secular trend. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ure_Record.svg

2008 is expected to be cooler than recent years (but quite possibly still
among the 10 warmest years on record), due to a strong La Nina. As for the
claim of an official UN report saying no warming is expected for a number
of years I would like a citation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Global Warming? Oh yes, I see, that is why it is blooming cold out there and
we have has snow on April 6th :-))

In the past I have seen sunbathers on the beach on April 1st, and no there
were no 'playing the fool'

Snow in April? Put it down to ""Global Warming""

:-((

Mike

If you want to be taken seriously, try an honest argument, rather than
trying to confuse local weather with global climate.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

In message , BAC
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Gullible? Me? Next thing we know, you'll be expecting us to believe that
Alan Titchmarsh is the sheriff of IoW.

Steve

Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

In message , Broadback
writes
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

The Sun will burn up the Earth. Nothing to do with global warming. Live with
it. Read all about it here

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/press_office...media672.shtml

Why should I believe your 'Tooth Fairy' story when there is that one around?

One for you. "Who or what is God?"

Kindest possible regards

Mike
Living in the real world and not mumbo jumbo land :-)