Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Isle of Wight

is trying to become the Isle of White

Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths, ............. yet

First we have seen for years.

Mike

Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White

Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths, ............. yet

First we have seen for years.

Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for
several years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun
shining looks like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of
which there has been no global warming at all this century, and none is
expected for a number of years, that is the official UN report!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White

Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths, .............
yet

First we have seen for years.

Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for several
years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun shining looks
like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of which there has
been no global warming at all this century, and none is expected for a
number of years, that is the official UN report!

"Global warming"?

Now don't get me going on that one. ANYBODY who thinks that ANYTHING man
does on this Earth will effect it, needs their bumps reading. The Earth does
its own thing and man will not alter it.

All these Government policies and the other cranks who devise schemes to
'Save the Planet' are either trying to divert our attention away from more
devious money making schemes or are after Brownie Points.

This Earth will be here WELL after we are all gone. No matter what we do.

Mike

Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Re. global warming and other such, I recommend "The Skeptical
Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg. It is brilliant common sense. One of
the things he says is that the cold is getting less cold but the hot is not
necessarily getting hotter. If that is impossible, I must have read it
wrong.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White

Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths, .............
yet

First we have seen for years.

Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for several
years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun shining looks
like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of which there has
been no global warming at all this century, and none is expected for a
number of years, that is the official UN report!

How can that be, if there is a direct link between greenhouse gas emissions
and climate change, as we have been assured by panels of scientists and
politicians? Global anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions have been
increasing sharply, recently, mainly due to the understandable (who wants to
live in the stone age?) rate of modernisation of developing world economies,
and the growth in the world population. Shouldn't that mean a noticeable
increase in mean temperatures should be evident?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White
Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths,
............. yet
First we have seen for years.
Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for
several years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun
shining looks like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of
which there has been no global warming at all this century, and none is
expected for a number of years, that is the official UN report!

The claim that "global warming has stopped" is based on 1998 being way
above the trend line (strong El Nino), but even so it's not clear
whether 1998 or 2005 was the warmest year on record. 7 of the 8 warmest
years on record were in this century, not to mention last year's
unprecedented retreat of the Arctic sea ice.

Claims that "global warming has stopped" requires ignoring the existence
of interannual variability modifying the secular trend. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ure_Record.svg

2008 is expected to be cooler than recent years (but quite possibly
still among the 10 warmest years on record), due to a strong La Nina. As
for the claim of an official UN report saying no warming is expected for
a number of years I would like a citation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Plum
writes
Re. global warming and other such, I recommend "The Skeptical
Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg. It is brilliant common sense. One
of the things he says is that the cold is getting less cold but the hot
is not necessarily getting hotter. If that is impossible, I must have
read it wrong.

Climate models predict that increasing greenhouse gas forcing results
(in general*) in greater warming at night, during the winter and at high
latitudes, which I could suppose could be badly expressed as "the cold
is getting less cold but the hot is not necessarily getting hotter".

* the interior of East Antarctica is an exception to this rule.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Global Warming? Oh yes, I see, that is why it is blooming cold out there and
we have has snow on April 6th :-))

In the past I have seen sunbathers on the beach on April 1st, and no there
were no 'playing the fool'

Snow in April? Put it down to ""Global Warming""

:-((

Mike

Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BAC
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, or in which
direction you be being sarcastic.

To claim that there has been no warming this century requires ignoring
the existence of weather (in the form of interannual variability) and
taking advantage that there have only been 7 complete years in the
century (so that the trend does not overwhelm the noise).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ure_Record.svg

One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall
this year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
'Mike' wrote:
is trying to become the Isle of White
Snowing and settling on the gardens but not on the paths,
............. yet
First we have seen for years.
Mike

Here in North Staffordshire (low ground) we have the most snow for
several years, a good covering. Stick to the trees and bushes, sun
shining looks like fairy land, so much for global warming. Talking of
which there has been no global warming at all this century, and none is
expected for a number of years, that is the official UN report!

Is that the official UN report or the official UN report according to
Nigel Lawson?
--
Kay

Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Apr, 17:52, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:19:45 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall
this year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

One shouldn't confuse weather with climate.
--

Martin

But...........in the UK we dont have climate just weather.

I remember when I was young the strange weather was blamed on the Atom
bomb, then neucular tests, then the rockets punching holes in the
ozone layer.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall
this year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

One shouldn't confuse weather with climate.
--

Martin

But...........in the UK we dont have climate just weather.

I remember when I was young the strange weather was blamed on the Atom
bomb, then neucular tests, then the rockets punching holes in the
ozone layer.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I forgot about those "Excuses"! I wonder what it will be when "Global
Warming" has died its death!!

Mike

Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
One shouldn't draw conclusions on the occurrence of an April snowfall
this year (they used to be more common) any more than one should draw
conclusions from April last year shattering the CET temperature records.
One would be more justified in drawing conclusions from the frequency of
April snowfalls, but even then it is wiser to take all the evidence into
account, rather than a single surrogate.

One shouldn't confuse weather with climate.
--

Martin

But...........in the UK we dont have climate just weather.

I remember when I was young the strange weather was blamed on the Atom
bomb, then neucular tests, then the rockets punching holes in the
ozone layer.

Don't forget acid rain, at one point we were all doomed because of that.

Also don't forget that all the world's "leader's" aircraft can fly from
wherever they are to Bali, but they don't create any greenhouse gases.
Neither do cruise missiles, tanks, bombs, warships, jump jets and stealth
bombers. It's just your fiesta, so stop it immediately, you hear?

Trends, fads, and sticks to beat us with, nothing more.

Steve

Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

You forgot "2 Two Jag Prescott" ;-) ----- "Do as I say, not as I do"-----

Mike