Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weedy multi-purpose compost?

Every year, I sow various seeds into pots of multipurpose compost and
keep them indoors until ready to plant out. I've never had any weed
seedlings in the pots.

This year is different - I do have weeds. The only difference I can see
is that this year I'm using a well-known name instead of something from
a DIY shed.

Should I expect multipurpose compost to be sterile? Was I just lucky in
the past?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Every year, I sow various seeds into pots of multipurpose compost and
keep them indoors until ready to plant out. I've never had any weed
seedlings in the pots.

This year is different - I do have weeds. The only difference I can see
is that this year I'm using a well-known name instead of something from
a DIY shed.

Should I expect multipurpose compost to be sterile? Was I just lucky in
the past?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Probably you have one of the newer peat-free or lower peat products, these
comntain composted material and in the past have been quite dirty .
No doubt this is the product of your green bin emptying programme.

Oveer the last few years I have tried low peat or peat free compost's and
the results have been dissappointing, in so far as more weed grwoth and
slower growth of plants.
Regards
Cineman.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

cineman writes

[...]

I use a peat free compost with no weed problems. I'm surprised if
they're using green-bin compost. Most of them seem to based on either
coir or bark
--
Kay
Old 07-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harris View Post
Every year, I sow various seeds into pots of multipurpose compost and
keep them indoors until ready to plant out. I've never had any weed
seedlings in the pots.

This year is different - I do have weeds. The only difference I can see
is that this year I'm using a well-known name instead of something from
a DIY shed.

Should I expect multipurpose compost to be sterile? Was I just lucky in
the past?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
I bought Miracle gro multi purpose compost a couple of weeks back and it's full of bits of paper and generally in a very poor state.
I bought the same product last year and it was great, worked a treat.
This batch seems to be compacted and full of 'rubbish'.
I'm gonna persavere with it hopefully not to the detrement of my young plants.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Registered User

I got some seed and young plant compost from b and Q this year, it was quite a bit cheaper than better-known brands and my seedlings seem quite happy in it. The texture´s quite good too. They seem to have included a few peanuts too, which is ok because I can throw them out for the birds.