Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Be careful

Just in case you need an exhortation to watch what you're about in the
garden, this from the Dorset Echo -

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display....aretake r.php

Steve

Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat says...
Just in case you need an exhortation to watch what you're about in the
garden, this from the Dorset Echo -

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display....aretake r.php

Steve

I can think of safer ways to trim your toe nails. :-)
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
shazzbat says...
Just in case you need an exhortation to watch what you're about in the
garden, this from the Dorset Echo -

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display....aretake r.php

Steve

I can think of safer ways to trim your toe nails. :-)

a few years ago I cut the top of the toe off my shoe whilst mowing the lawn,
luckily my toes was not taken as well. I see people cutting lawns in sandals
or bare feet and shake my head.

rob

Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote
Just in case you need an exhortation to watch what you're about in the
garden, this from the Dorset Echo -

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display....aretake r.php

Having caught a finger in a rotary lawnmower before the blades had stopped I
can vouch for their effectiveness at destroying bits of your body even when
not under power. The Surgeon that tried, and mostly succeeded, to put it all
back together said I wasn't the first and won't be the last. Mowers are a
dangerous tool and should be treated with the utmost respect, don't get
complacent, they will bite.
I always wear steel toecap trainers when mowing the lawn, my friend at RHS
Wisley says all the grass cutters there have the steel showing through on
the toes of their boots. Chainmail gloves would be good too! :-)
Now when I see anyone mowing without proper footwear (I've seen sandals
even!!!) it terrifies me.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-04-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/4/08 16:16, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote
Just in case you need an exhortation to watch what you're about in the
garden, this from the Dorset Echo -

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display....s_hurt_caretak
er.php

Having caught a finger in a rotary lawnmower before the blades had stopped I
can vouch for their effectiveness at destroying bits of your body even when
not under power. The Surgeon that tried, and mostly succeeded, to put it all
back together said I wasn't the first and won't be the last. Mowers are a
dangerous tool and should be treated with the utmost respect, don't get
complacent, they will bite.
I always wear steel toecap trainers when mowing the lawn, my friend at RHS
Wisley says all the grass cutters there have the steel showing through on
the toes of their boots. Chainmail gloves would be good too! :-)
Now when I see anyone mowing without proper footwear (I've seen sandals
even!!!) it terrifies me.

The man that cuts our grass does all the above and wears goggles and
protective earmuffs, too. He probably wears the latter because he's doing
such a lot of work with noisy machinery but given that we have gravel paths
butting onto some of the grass areas, it seems a good idea anyway.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-04-2008, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| a few years ago I cut the top of the toe off my shoe whilst mowing the lawn,
| luckily my toes was not taken as well. I see people cutting lawns in sandals
| or bare feet and shake my head.

Actually, bare feet can be safer than protective footwear! Much better
grip and VERY much less likely to lose balance. I have injured myself
much more often and more seriously by wearing protective footwear than
by wearing bare feet, despite doing the latter vastly more of the time.

Positively the worst type of footwear for 'protection' is light
'trainers'; they may be enclosed, but they will stop nothing. However,
they meet the regulations ....

Bare feet are safe only if the mower is protected against running over
your feet in some other way. The one we have is not self-propelled,
is used on flat ground, and has a huge plastic grass box preventing it
from running over your feet. While I do wear boots, I have never come
CLOSE to running over my feet in 20+ years of using it. I can't say
the same for my wife's use of it, though, which is why I insist on
boots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden says...

Now when I see anyone mowing without proper footwear (I've seen sandals
even!!!) it terrifies me.

Some people seem to get very blasé about safety. Here in
France I commonly see people using chain saws wearing only
a tee shirt and shorts, no face or eye protection, no ear
defenders and lots of bare skin everywhere. I wear a full
face steel mesh mask, ear defenders, boots and a thick coat
over a thick jumper (even in hot weather) and thick leather
gloves. I couldn't buy any chain mail gloves or leggings
here - nobody sells them.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Bob Hobden says...

Now when I see anyone mowing without proper footwear (I've seen sandals
even!!!) it terrifies me.

Some people seem to get very blasé about safety. Here in
France I commonly see people using chain saws wearing only
a tee shirt and shorts, no face or eye protection, no ear
defenders and lots of bare skin everywhere. I wear a full
face steel mesh mask, ear defenders, boots and a thick coat
over a thick jumper (even in hot weather) and thick leather
gloves. I couldn't buy any chain mail gloves or leggings
here - nobody sells them.

Yet cyclists wear short sleeved and legged thin fabric shirts and shorts
while riding at 30+ mph on hard metalled roads.

As an ex-racing cyclist I've seen some horrible injuries.

Then there are motor cyclists who wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals ...

.... and people who smoke ... and ... and ...

sigh

Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Yet cyclists wear short sleeved and legged thin fabric shirts and shorts
| while riding at 30+ mph on hard metalled roads.

Only extreme racing cyclists reach those speeds on the flat, and only
a few loons do it downhill. It is extremely rare for clothing to make
a significant difference to any normal cyclist, as you tend to roll
rather than slide. Most of the regular cyclists I know of have come
off at speeds of up to 20 MPH with no more than grazes and minor holes
in clothing, and several at much higher speeds.

For heaven's sake - we are descended from hunter-gatherers, and
20 MPH is a speed that many people can reach in a sprint!

| As an ex-racing cyclist I've seen some horrible injuries.

I will bet that the majority of those happened because they were
riding in packs, and were largely due to damage caused by other
people's bicycles. Virtually all serious cycling injuries are
because a cyclist hits an obstacle (either before or after coming
off) or is hit by a motor vehicle. Merely coming off and not
hitting or being hit by anything is rarely serious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"shazzbat" wrote
[...]

Friend of mine ended up in a hospital ward after burning his foot in
scalding liquid, he was the only one on the 24 bed ward not suffering
from what the nurses refered to as "Flymo foot" so even if its a scorcher
I go and put my work boots on.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| Friend of mine ended up in a hospital ward after burning his foot in
| scalding liquid, he was the only one on the 24 bed ward not suffering
| from what the nurses refered to as "Flymo foot" so even if its a scorcher
| I go and put my work boots on.

A traditional Flymo design is PRECISELY the one most likely to run
over your foot!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| a few years ago I cut the top of the toe off my shoe whilst mowing the
lawn,
| luckily my toes was not taken as well. I see people cutting lawns in
sandals
| or bare feet and shake my head.

Actually, bare feet can be safer than protective footwear! Much better
grip and VERY much less likely to lose balance. I have injured myself
much more often and more seriously by wearing protective footwear than
by wearing bare feet, despite doing the latter vastly more of the time.

Positively the worst type of footwear for 'protection' is light
'trainers'; they may be enclosed, but they will stop nothing.

they offer much better protection for things thrown out by the mower blade
like small stones. I have had a few of those & the trainers softened the
impact, bare feet would have hurt quite a lot.

rob

Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "George.com" writes:

| Actually, bare feet can be safer than protective footwear! Much better
| grip and VERY much less likely to lose balance. I have injured myself
| much more often and more seriously by wearing protective footwear than
| by wearing bare feet, despite doing the latter vastly more of the time.
|
| Positively the worst type of footwear for 'protection' is light
| 'trainers'; they may be enclosed, but they will stop nothing.
|
| they offer much better protection for things thrown out by the mower blade
| like small stones. I have had a few of those & the trainers softened the
| impact, bare feet would have hurt quite a lot.

Heck - except for people who don't heal normally, that's ignorable.
My idea of safety is about things that matter - unlike minor pain :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Yet cyclists wear short sleeved and legged thin fabric shirts and
shorts
| while riding at 30+ mph on hard metalled roads.

Only extreme racing cyclists reach those speeds on the flat, and only
a few loons do it downhill. It is extremely rare for clothing to make
a significant difference to any normal cyclist, as you tend to roll
rather than slide. Most of the regular cyclists I know of have come
off at speeds of up to 20 MPH with no more than grazes and minor holes
in clothing, and several at much higher speeds.

For heaven's sake - we are descended from hunter-gatherers, and
20 MPH is a speed that many people can reach in a sprint!

| As an ex-racing cyclist I've seen some horrible injuries.

I will bet that the majority of those happened because they were
riding in packs, and were largely due to damage caused by other
people's bicycles. Virtually all serious cycling injuries are
because a cyclist hits an obstacle (either before or after coming
off) or is hit by a motor vehicle. Merely coming off and not
hitting or being hit by anything is rarely serious.

Wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.