Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Swallows!

Saw the first Swallows on Suday returning from the Cornwall Spring flower
show (me not the Swallows!) Driving through heavy snow one min, then
sunshine and swallows, I know one doesn't make a summer, this one was
struggling to make it spring!!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 07-04-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/4/08 23:14, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:46:21 +0100, Charlie Pridham

wrote:

Saw the first Swallows on Suday returning from the Cornwall Spring flower
show (me not the Swallows!) Driving through heavy snow one min, then
sunshine and swallows, I know one doesn't make a summer, this one was
struggling to make it spring!!

We had our first green parakeet of the year in our garden this week.
http://www.myalbum.com/LargePhoto-LQWPC8CF.jpg

Oh, I know people swear at them but they do have a certain charm! I used to
get lovebirds in my Jersey garden. Apparently they were escapees (possibly
my fil's!) who had roosted in the eaves of the barn of a house belonging to
some friends of mine. It was directly behind my house and across a field,
though neither of us could see each other's houses. The lovebirds would
sometimes fly into my garden and perch in a cherry tree and because I was
familiar with their 'noise', I recognised them the first time I heard them,
even though I could barely believe it. It was only after this that I
learned they were living in the friends' property.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Saw the first Swallows on Suday returning from the Cornwall Spring flower
show (me not the Swallows!) Driving through heavy snow one min, then
sunshine and swallows, I know one doesn't make a summer, this one was
struggling to make it spring!!

Saw one on the moor last Thursday - just one. Then saw another round here
on Saturday - very early for this area.

My husband saw one a couple of days ago up here in North Wales. If I was
them I would be tempted to turn round and go back!

T.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Oh, I know people swear at them but they do have a certain charm! *I used to
get lovebirds in my Jersey garden. *Apparently they were escapees (possibly
my fil's!) who had roosted in the eaves of the barn of a house belonging to
some friends of mine. *It was directly behind my house and across a field,
though neither of us could see each other's houses. *The lovebirds would
sometimes fly into my garden and perch in a cherry tree and because I was
familiar with their 'noise', I recognised them the first time I heard them,
even though I could barely believe it. *It was only after this that I
learned they were living in the friends' property.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

We get "lovebirds" parking in our entrance at night to judge by their
leavings, pity it's illegal to shoot them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/4/08 15:41, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:54:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 8/4/08 13:10, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

[...]

Oh, I think they're charming, though it has to be said they are unmerciful
bullies to other birds!

I assumed David meant featherless lovebirds.

Oh dear. I do lead a sheltered life!! David, can't you find a farmer
friend who has an 'accident' with a slurry tanker there one evening? ;-)

Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Saw my first last Friday and then at home this morning.
I visited http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk where I have recorded my
various sightings. There are maps showing the progression of sightings
across the country.
Worth a look.
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

swallows OT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 05-04-2009 11:58 PM
Swallows Sacha United Kingdom 46 02-09-2007 11:57 AM
First swallows this year fruitbat United Kingdom 5 14-04-2007 10:29 AM
Barn Swallows Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman Texas 2 25-05-2006 10:18 PM
swallows are back Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 19-04-2003 08:20 AM