GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pricking out (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/172921-pricking-out.html)

judith[_4_] 12-04-2008 03:49 PM

Pricking out

When pricking out tomatoes I put them in their new pot with the first
leaves just above the soil level - this means most of the stem is
buried.

Should I do this with any type of seedling - ie bury the original
stem?

Judith in France 12-04-2008 04:36 PM

Pricking out

On Apr 12, 3:49 pm, judith wrote:
When pricking out tomatoes I put them in their new pot with the first
leaves just above the soil level - this means most of the stem is
buried.

Should I do this with any type of seedling - ie bury the original
stem?

Hi Judith, I have been pricking out annuals and I am burying up to
their necks as I usually do. I've never had a problem with it over
many years.

The Other Judith

liketogarden 13-04-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith in France (Post 784093)
On Apr 12, 3:49 pm, judith wrote:
When pricking out tomatoes I put them in their new pot with the first
leaves just above the soil level - this means most of the stem is
buried.

Should I do this with any type of seedling - ie bury the original
stem?

Hi Judith, I have been pricking out annuals and I am burying up to
their necks as I usually do. I've never had a problem with it over
many years.

The Other Judith

Donīt think it matters too much, to be honest. Donīt plant them too shallow because they donīt want to dry out, but donīt plant them too deep because the compost can wash over the leaves when you water them.